New

My wife and I wanted to try cook something new for the twins because they're six months old and just started eating solid food

My wife and I wanted to try cook something new for the twins because they're six months old and just started eating solid food. We're gonna try and cook something outside of our culture. Something new like curry. It's gonna be my first time cooking it and I think it will be River's too.

Anyways, we sat the twins down in their high chairs and started on dinner. We're following a recipe online because we don't even know where to start.

Before the twins were born I taught River how to make all the recipes my mother use to cook for me. I miss her cooking but it feels as though she's still here with me whenever I make one of her recipes. Cooking reminds me of her and it makes me so fucking happy whenever I get to teach my wife a little something of my mothers.

"Where do we start?" River asks, tilting her head up at me.

"What does the recipe say?" I ask.

"Heat the oil." She replies, looking down at the recipe on her phone.

"How about I start on the chicken and you do the curry?" I suggest and she nods her head in response so we get to it.

As soon as I finish cutting up the chicken, Matteo starts crying from his high chair so I wash my hands and move over to him while River finishes up the curry.

Unbuckling my son from his seat, I pick him up and his cries immediately die down. "Someone is hungry." I say, bouncing Matteo in my arms and walking back over to River.

"Just gotta wait for it to cook." She replies, brushing hair away from Matteo's forehead and kissing his cheek.

"You hear that little man?" I lift Matteo into the air. "You gotta wait."

xXx

Few minutes later we finally have the food finished and plated up. While River is grabbing the drinks, I place the twins in their high chairs. They're getting really fucking fussy now.

"Okay let's eat." My wife says, walking into the dining room and sitting down opposite me.

Grabbing my spoon off the table, I take a bite out of the curry but pause as soon as the taste hits my tongue.

"Something wrong?" River asks, grabbing her spoon.

"It tastes," I start off. "Off."

"What do you mean?" She furrows her eyebrows in confusion and takes a bite out of the curry but then grimaces. "Okay, I see what you mean." She coughs and quickly reaches for her water before chugging it down.

"Fuck," I push the bowl away from me and down the rest of my water. "It's so bad."

"We definitely didn't cook it right," She replies, shaking her head and collecting the dishes back up. "How did we fuck up curry?"

"God knows Riv." I sigh, running my hands down my face.

As soon as River leaves to put the dishes in the sink, the twins start crying and I already know why. They're hungry but we managed to fuck up their dinner.

"What are we feeding them?" I call out to River, reaching over and running my hand down the twins' hair in order to comfort them.

"Just give them these," She says, handing me some baby food with two spoons. "We'll try feeding them solids tomorrow."

"Alright," I say, taking the lids off the baby food. "And what do you wanna eat, love?"

"Shall I order in?" She asks, grabbing her phone.

"Sure," I reply, feeding the twins. "My wallet's on the counter."

"I'll be back." She says, leaning down and pecking my cheek before leaving the dining room.

While she's ordering food, I continue feeding the twins theirs until they're full and no longer wanting more. Once they're finished, I unbuckle them from their high chairs and pick them up.

By the time I walk into the living room and settle the twins down with their toys, River has finished ordering the food so she comes and join us.

"I'm never making curry again." She says, flopping down on the couch beside me.

I smile. "We'll try again another time."

"

thank you for the suggestion! <3