Overworked

Ace has been in Chicago for the past couple of days for a business trip

Ace has been in Chicago for the past couple of days for a business trip. He'll be back in a few days and while his business trips aren't uncommon I still feel like there's so much more to do whenever he's away.

I should be use to it considering the fact that we've been married for eleven years but it's still so overwhelming sometimes to take care of everything. Stuff that he would normally do while he's here has now become my responsibility too. For example, dropping the kids off at practise. Reyna has football practise and Matteo has hockey practise. Ace would normally take them but he's not here to do that.

I'm exhausted and I've barely slept but I have so much to do. I just picked the kids up and they're taking their showers before dinner. I've been going back and forth between making dinner and finishing up a few bits of paperwork that I didn't get the chance to do.

As soon as I finish up dinner, my phone starts ringing and I pick it up to see Ace's name flash across the screen. I forgot to call him before he went to bed because I've been so preoccupied.

"Hey. I'm sorry I forgot to call." I say as soon as I answer the phone.

"It's okay." He says softly.

"You going to bed?" I ask, gathering up all the paperwork that's scattered across the counter.

"No, I'm stuck at the office." He replies with a deep sigh. "What are you up to?"

"I just made dinner," I reply, feeling my head suddenly begin to pound. "I have some work to finish off and then I'm going to bed."

"Take it easy, you hear me?" He says.

"Yes I know." I mumble, rubbing my temples to soothe the pounding in my head.

"And what about the kids? They okay?"

"They're fine."

"Good," He mutters. "I miss you baby."

"I miss you too." I frown, closing my eyes.

"I gotta go but I'll call you tomorrow."

"Okay." I murmur.

"I love you River," He says and my heart pounds loudly in my chest. "I can't wait to hold you."

"I love you." I reply and for the first time today I feel all my stress disappear. His voice is so soothing.

We say our goodbyes before hanging up the phone. My headache is back as soon as the call ends and black spots invade my vision. Shaking off the feeling, I stumble into the living room and it suddenly feels like my head is too big for my body then the next thing I know darkness clouds my vision.

xXx