Chapter twenty

After leaving his office we went out. We walked around the mall doing window shopping. Then he saw this beautiful baby sneakers and said let's get in. We got in and the baby clothes were so beautiful. We did baby shopping and this husband of mine took a lot of things.
Voice:wow. You keep popping them babies huh?
I could never forget that voice. It was even irritating me.
Me: yeah hey. At least i have a company that will make it possible for me to take care of them.  And i love popping them for my husband. Not someone's husband.
Basetsana:oh that's good. You can now forget about my husband.
Me:i wouldn't think about yours while i have  mine. He's too wonderful to me that i can't even think about other men.
Basetsana:enjoy it while it lasts.
Me: i will darling. I know you wish i could go back to your husband so you can get my company. Keep dreaming. You will dream until you die. You see this man here? Even death won't separate us. So whatever plans you have forget about it. Baby, i saw a romper that i think will look good on our little boy.
Mpendulo:ngiyak'thanda MamKhoza.
Me:i love you even more mr Khoza.

I held his hand and we continued with our shopping for our boy. If Basetsana thought i
Was going to entertain her then she got it wrong.  Im too happy to do that.

Mpendulo:you handled that very well.
We were now sitting in some restaurant having early supper. Im saying that because I know i will eat again at night.
Me: i decided that im not going to let people get to me.im just going to live my life  and be happy.
Mpendulo:and I'll do anything to make you happy.

When we got home we video called my mother in law and talked to the kids.
Mpendulo:about what you said to that woman. That im wonderful to you
Me:i meant it. You're a good man.
Mpendulo:it made me feel guilty. Like after all i put you through. You still see me as this good man. I promise you you will never have to cry again because i hurt you.  I promise to be a better man. A good husband to you.
Me:i know you will.
Mpendulo:you are beautiful inside out.  And i will always thank God for you. When I met you i knew already that i had found my soulmate. Our love is greater than any I've ever seen.
I didn't say anything. I just cuddled up to him.

In the morning we woke up to banging on the door. It's not always that we have visitors. Mpendulo went to check and i finished getting dressed. We had just taken a shower. I finished then went downstairs.
Me:babe who was that?
Mpendulo:my love come and sit down.
Me:oh i didn't know we have guests. Dumelang bagolo.

They just looked at me like i said something  wrong.

Me:um i will go and make breakfast.
Mpendulo:come and sit down. I will do that.
I sat next to him.
Mpendulo:so what brings you here?
Old woman:we were here yesterday but there was no one. We have brought your son.we are tired of him. He is a troublemaker and doesn't listen to anyone. His mother got tired of him fighting with other kids in her marital home so she brought him to us. He has been staying with us for three years and we cant take it anymore.
Mpendulo:are you sure you're at the right house?
Old woman:yes. Aren't you Mpendulo Khoza?
Mpendulo:where's the boy? I don't know anything about a son.
Old woman:Phumzile hamba uyo biza uLindani.
After a few minutes Phumzile came back with a spitting image of my husband. There was no need for a dna.
Old woman:this is him. We are not going back with him.
Mpendulo:who's his mother?
Old woman:Nosibulelo.
Mpendulo: i don't know anyone by that name so i suggest you call your daughter or show me her picture.
They gave him the picture and he laughed.
Mpendulo:this is Andiswa, not Nosibulelo. Or she just gave me a fake name.
Old woman:now that you know we are leaving. Your  son will stay withyou. You are his father. You will also feel what we feel.
Lindani:i already told you im not staying where im not wanted. I'd rather stay in the streets.
Mpendulo:i didn't know about you.
Lindani:you told my mother to abort me.
Mpendulo:she didn't tell me she is pregnant. We went our separate ways and i never contacted her again. How did i know about her being pregnant?
Lindani:you're just defending yourself because she'snot here to speak for herself.
Mpendulo:give me her number so we can video call her and hear what she has to say.
They called her  and she tookvery long to answer.
Old woman:Nosibulelo we are with Lindani's father here and he says you didn't tell him about Lindani. But you said he told you to abort.
Nosi:um...
Mpendulo:you don't know what to say now? How can you lie to my son and say i told you to abort while you didn't even tell me you were pregnant? You hid him from me!
Nosi:im sorry.  He was so persistent in knowing about you and i told him that story so that he can stop.
Mpendulo:and now that he's giving you problems you shift him to me!?
Nosi:he's your son!
Mpendulo:wasn't he my son when you told him lies about me?
Nosi:im sorry okay? Now you can have him.  He has given me enough troubles. Do you know the amount of money I've been paying because of that evil child!? Do you know he once stabbed my husband? Now you will know what I  had to deal with!
Mpendulo:she cut the call!
Old woman:we are leaving and leaving your evil child behind.
Mpendulo:don't call him evil! We don't know what made him to be like this! Leavemy house right this instant!
He went to open the door for them. I got up and went to make breakfast. I could hear them talking. From what I could get this child has anger. I took the food to them and we ate.
Me:love i will call the driver and fetch Thando.
Mpendulo:Bongani is already on his way.
Me:okay.
Mpendulo:i know i haven't been in your life and i can't judge you based on what I don't know. So what makes you to be this troublemaker and evil child they say you are?
Lindani:im not evil! They are the evil ones.
Mpendulo:don't shout!we are talking here!
Me:okay let's all calm down and talk. Babe give him a chance to talk.  So Lindani talk to your father and explain things to him. Then your father will know what to do goingforward.
Mpendulo:what happened there?
Linda:they abused me. I always did most work there. When I want to rest I'd get shouted. When other kids hit me at school i fought back. One day my stepfather hit me because he said im ruining his reputation. He hit me like a dog and i stabbed him. Then they took me to my grandmother's. I stayed there for three years.
Mpendulo:but why didn't your mother tell me?
Lindani:every time I asked about you she'd dismiss the topic. Then she came with the abortion story.
Mpendulo:im sorry you went through that. I promise to make up for lost time.
Lindani:i don't want to stay here. I've been abused enough.
Me:we are not going to abuse you here. We will treat you like our other kids.