Chapter twenty seven

Ntombi

Mabutho:baby come lets talk.
Me:i thought we already talked?
Mabutho:i talk and you listened. I want us to talk.
Me:talk so that you can accuse me more? No thanks.
That's the thing with him. He's always the right one. Whenever there's a problem im the one who's wrong. It's always been like that. Even when we were dating. I met Mabutho when i was 13. His father was business partners with my father and his father would sometimes come with him at our house to meet with my father. That's how we got to know each other.  We started dating when i was 16 and he was 21. We dated until I  was 25 and got married at 26. Ever since we started dating they've never been issues of cheating. So i was somehow hurt when he said i cheated on him and fell pregnant. Just because the doctor said his sperm count is low didn't mean that we wont fall pregnant. I believed that one day we were gonna have a child of our own. And now that we have he accuse me of this. After four years of trying we agreed to addopt. We adopted a boy. He's four years old now. Even though we had adopted we still wished to have a child of our own blood.
Mabutho:then how are we going to solve things cos i can see that there's still problems here?
Me:you don't see it. You're the one who's wrong here. What made you to accuse me in the first place? The doctor didn't say that you're unable to have kids. He just said it would be difficult. But you then say i cheated.
Mabutho: what did you want me to think when men call you?
Me:that's the same reason you accused Khanyisile of cheating even though she wasn't. Aren't women allowed to have business with men? So because you do business with women i have to say you are cheating?
Mabutho:you know I'd never cheat on you!
Me:and I'd cheat?have i ever given you anyreason to think so?
Mabutho:....
Me:yesterday you went and got drunk with your brothers saying you're celebrating. What were you celebrating if the child is not yours?
Mabutho:im sorry. I know i was wrong. I take responsibility for my actions. I know you'd never cheat on me. I was just overwhelmed and surprised. That's all. Im really sorry. Please forgive me.
Me:i forgive you. But i hope this is the last time we talk about this.
Mabutho:ngiyakthembisa sthandwa sami. Ngeke kwenzakale futhi. Ngiya funga.
Me:kulungile ke.
Mabutho:ngizokubona mangbuya okay? Unga sebenzi kakhulu. We should get a helper. Uzokusiza ngemsebenzi yalapha khaya. You still have your job and you can't come home to doing housechores. Don't be late. I'll send a driver to pick you up. Iyakthanda indoda yakho.
Me:uthandwa yimi.
He kissed my forehead and picked Sbanisethu up and left.

Khanyisile and Mpendulo's anniversary was a success. Everything went well. I admire their love. Their love is so beautiful and strong. I feel someone jumping on me and i knowSbanisethu is here.
Me:boy stop. Im still sleeping.
Sbani:i want to sleep here.
Mabutho:babe breakfast in bed.
Me:thank you baby.
Sbani:thank you daddy.
Mabutho:this boy. Get off mommy and eat.
He gets up and jumps on the bed. He's such a happy child. I get him to sit and we start eating. While eating i notice that Mabutho stopped eating.
Me:why aren't you eating?
Mabutho:im just thinking about how lucky I am to have you in my life. After everything that we've been through someone would have left. You knew it was going to be difficult to have children but you stayed. That shows just how much you love me. I promise i will love you and show appreciation to you for the rest of our lives.
Me:you're a good man. And i won't leave.
Mabutho:im happy to hear that.  And don't worry about cooking.
Me:but your brothers are coming.
Mabutho:you're pregnant.  Their wives are not disabled. They will cook. I don't want my wife slaving around.
Me:babe cooking  won't kill me. I will just cook with them. It's not like i will pick heavy things.
Mabutho:i don't care. You should just sot and relax wena.

Now his brothers and their wives had started arriving. It's now a full house. The kids are running around playing and the men are starting to braai. Us the women are in the kitchen cooking.
Mabutho:don't forget what i said. Don't lift heavy things.
Me:babe im just cooking. Nothing hectic.
Mabutho:you're pregnant. So we have to be careful.
Mpendulo shouted from outside.
Mpendulo:hey wena! We are waiting for that meat. My wife is also pregnant but she's cooking. And i also don't want anything happening to my babies but she's cooking. Leave the women and come with that meat.