the mermaid

i sat down on the moist sand with my knees in my chest, breathing heavily. i watched as the ocean went up and crashed down harshly on the sandy ground.

i tried my best not to think about what just happened. i almost died. it was like the water was forcing me deeper and deeper into the ocean until, someone saved me.

was it a lifeguard? was it a sea creature? those were the questions i was trying to find the answers to.

but whatever it was i want them to show themselves so i can properly thank them.

the force of my arms around my knees only got stronger as i laid my head in my knees, closing my eyes.

then, a sound woke me up from my sleep. i quickly looked up, seeing a beautiful woman laying in the sand with her eyes closed.

but what was strange was that she didn't look like any of the people i've seen before, she was different.

she had long, beautiful green hair that was already ruined by the sand and gills on almost every part of her body.

sure, it could've been a costume, but it sure as hell didn't look like one.

i quickly stood up and walked over to her to check if she was okay. i sat down on my knees and shook her softly, watching as her eyes fluttered for a second then fully opened.

then she looked at me, a smile immediately forming when she did. she lifted up both hands and touched my face.

"great, you're okay." she said softly. i was taken aback, "what do you mean?" she giggled and sat up.

"you got pushed deep into the ocean, too deep for any human to swim in. you almost died. i had to save you, i couldn't watch you die."

"if it was too deep for any human to swim in, how'd you save me?" i asked, confused.

her smile only got wider, "well i'm not a human silly."

i furrowed my brows and bit my lip, "what? how is that possible?"

her smile faded, "it's a long story.."

"i'm here to listen." i said, giving her a smile to reassure her. she returned the smile and put her hands in mine.

"it was a long time ago, 722 years ago to be exact. my ancestors were just like me, but they lived far far away from this wretched place. they were good people i was told, only minding their business when a group of fishermen came across them." she said softly.

i held her hand tighter, "what happened after that?"

"some of my familys' friends were swimming a little too close to the shore, his parents told him not to but he was only a child, a curious one at that. he was at the wrong place at the wrong time and a fisherman spotted him from under their boat. they grabbed their weapons and began to shoot."

i stopped her, "if he wasn't bothering them, why did they shoot?"

she frowned, "because the tale of the mermaids were a hot topic at the time, everyone wanted to get their hands on one and unfortunately those men did."

tears began to form into her eyes, "they killed him. he was only a child."

i quickly grabbed her and hugged her tightly. "i'm so sorry."

she squeezed my tighter, "don't be. it's not your fault." then she let go and wiped her eyes, "i have to finish, i've already gone so far."

"the fishermen took him home and showed him to their boss. he was suprised of course, but then he had an idea. an evil one. he had been preparing this for years. he demanded the fishermen to go back into the ocean and drop some type of bomb that would put us into a coma. so they did. everyone inhaled it and passed out. the fishermen caught them and put them up for display. people paid big money to see them. it was torture!"

"oh my god, that's so brutal." i shook my head biting my lip in anger.

"but when the fishermen thought they caught all of them luckily some of them were too deep in the ocean to be affected by the bomb. so they decided to keep their identities and whereabouts a secret. if they were caught too, i wouldn't be here today. we would've gone extinct!"

"but after everything that happened, why did you decided to help me?" i asked her.

she gave me a small smile, "because i'm not sick and evil like those men, and i know that every human is not like them. it would be terrible to let an innocent human die, especially if i have a chance to save them."

i looked up at her giving her a big smile, "you are truly amazing."

"thank you i was wondering if you wanted to meet her again? maybe tomorrow?"

a beautiful sound came from afar. the sound of a woman beautifully singing filled my ears.

the beautiful woman that sat before me quickly turned her head and sighed, "my mothers calling me, so i have to go now. it was really nice talking to you and thank you for listening y/n, i'm amala by the way."

i gasped quietly, "wait how do you know my n-

then she kissed me, taking me by surprise. she pulled away and rubbed my cheek, "that'll help you next time you go under water, now you'll never drown."

then she jumped into the water and swam away.