Chapter 26 Objectives

Wei Ying thought quickly.

"Please make the arrangements." He told the waiter.

"How many?"

Wei Ying glanced at the others and saw their steely determination.

"Four." He replied with no hesitation.

"Alright. We're quite busy this evening, it may take a while. In the meantime, please enjoy yourselves and I shall return soon. Although...if this is your first time gentlemen, then I would advise a little liquid courage be taken...just to ease your paths." He bowed and left.

"I am sorry. I could not do it." Lan Zhan said, quietly.

"It's alright my love, we don't have the time to discuss it now, but I promise it's okay. You never have to feel like that. If there's anything, anything at all that you cannot do, I'd rather you stayed true to yourself and told me rather than suffer by yourself. This is not over." Wei Ying was desperate to kiss him, and on any other occasion he would have, but the circumstances prevented any such action.

Under the table, he reached for Lan Zhan’s hand and squeezed it.

Jiang Cheng grabbed his ring, looking apologetically at his husband.

"I'm sorry...I took it off too easily..." He glared at Wei Ying.

"No need. Our love does not depend on outside things." XiChen took his hand under the table. "It's what is inside that counts. And I trust you."

The pure love he saw reflected back at him in those amethyst eyes was on fire.

"I swear, after this stupid investigation, I'm going to make it up to you." The passion in his voice was enough to make XiChen shiver with anticipation.

"I'm going to hold you to that promise." He vowed.

"Alright, listen. We need to come up with a plan of action." Wei Ying whispered urgently. "He's going to come back soon, probably with a few questions as to our preferences. We have to be ready. Lan Zhan knows I would never cheat on him." He glanced at his husband.

"Mn. But I still don't like this." Lan Zhan replied.

He could not be happy about this no matter how much he tried. To even think about Wei Ying in a room alone with somebody else, specifically for the purpose of papapa...it was unthinkable. He wanted to destroy this place, uproot it from its very foundations and obliterate its existence.

But he knew he could do no such thing...not yet.

They had a job to do, and even if this was a test, of the most severest kind, he was going to pass.

"I will do what Wei Ying says." He muttered with a frown.

"We're here too, don't forget about us." Hui Gai said quietly. "We can come with you inside the rooms so you're not alone."

"That's a good idea." Wei Ying brightened at that. "And this will help." He pulled out four invisibility talismans. He bit his first finger and modified them by adding a stroke of blood to each one. "Put your rings on, these will hide them."

Lan Zhan wanted to grab Wei Ying and kiss him senseless, that's how grateful he was, and he wanted to show him. The very first chance he got when they were alone, he was going to make sure that Wei Ying knew without a doubt how much Lan Zhan loved him.

They did as he said and Wei Ying put his ring back on. Then he activated the talismans over each hand. Their rings shimmered once, twice and then disappeared.

"How long will it last?" XiChen asked.

"A couple of hours maybe? It's not important as long as it gets us access to that floor and the workers. We need to ask them if they've noticed anything strange and such. The last time I used this particular talisman, we were in the Nether World and it didn't even work on Rumi. So let's not worry too much about that." Wei Ying explained. He turned to Lan Zhan. "Lan Zhan...who will you be the most comfortable with? You can take Hui Gai with you, it's fine." He grinned. "Plus if Zago is willing to come with me, then we can get to know one another."

"Absolutely." Zago said. "Plus Hui Gai says you're where the action is."

They heard her cracking her knuckles, getting ready.

"Aha...ha...you could say that..." Wei Ying had never given much thought to why trouble always found him.

He never went looking for it either, but somehow or other it was always him in the thick of things.

"I think they want us to be a little bit drunk too. That's what he meant by liquid courage. Not you two, though, just Jiang Cheng and I. This stuff isn't too strong." Wei Ying sniffed it disdainfully. "Nothing like Emperor's Smile, but wine is wine."

"Drink up." Jiang Cheng told him as they all emptied their cups.

The Lans drank their tea, surreptitiously looking around the room. There were mostly men sitting around and drinking in small groups. There was a mixed group of people gathered here tonight.

XiChen noticed that their robes ranged from plain and ordinary cottons to the rich silks of the wealthy. It wouldn't be fair to label them all as cheaters, but most middle-aged men were already married so it was quite possibly true. And from the way the sickness was spreading so fast, it might even be true that this brothel wasn't the only one spreading it around.

"This is the first real lead we have gotten since starting our investigation. It would be good if we are thorough in asking questions." XiChen said.

"Agreed. Whoever is causing this havoc...there must be a reason why." Wei Ying replied thoughtfully. "Once we discover that, we'll be in a better place to know how to proceed.

"Motives are the key. Why would anyone try and kill off people in this way? Why take three days? Isn't that just prolonging the inevitable death?" Jiang Cheng added. "If the killer just wanted to kill people, a sword would be faster."

"Less dramatic." Wei Ying said.

"Now you get it!" Zago jumped in enthusiastically. "I reckon your guy is doing this because he wants something."

"That's a good one. Maybe it's as simple as asking him?" Wei Ying pondered this.

"He has to stay visible long enough for us to catch him." Hui Gai said.

"Well it's make or break time." Wei Ying nodded. "Here comes our waiter."

***********

A/N

Dear Beautiful Readers,

Sorry it's a short one. The weekend really took its toll on me, and I wasn't expecting it. Absolutely draining...I'll be fine soon, just need some extra chocolate I think.

Hopefully back on track as soon as possible.

Have a wonderful day everyone!

Charlie