Chapter 79 Betrayed

Hui Gai thought he possessed the self control of a Saint, rather ironically and it would have been funny if not for the raw rage flooding his system right now, making him tremble with contempt.

The stupid Demon thought he was scared.

As if...

But he was far too interested in his story to think about anything else now.

"My Master hunted high and low for them," he laughed, "and it helped that Qiangda was famous. Everyone was on the lookout for a black demoness accompanied by a white one...but Qiangda was clever and a mistress of magic. She was able to make a glamour over the albino so his scales appeared black. They would have escaped too, if it were not for the prowess of my Master. They did not stand a chance. They hid for four years but he found them in the end." The Demon did let go of Hui Gai now; the path was too treacherous for them to walk side by side, and he wrongly assumed that Hui Gai was going to be obedient.

"Where?" Hui Gai asked him.

If nothing else, they could erect tablets in their honour and give Rumi a place to come and visit them.

"Zinked. Way away on the outskirts of a mining town. They thought they were being clever and all...but my Master bribed certain high ranking officials, those not loyal to Yao Wang...because he was looking for them too. What my Master didn't count on was that wily woman threw down a portal and transported you out of there, just as he killed them, because she wouldn't come quietly. My Master grieved her death...in his own way."

Highly unlikely...Hui Gai thought, uncharitably. Why kill them if he was going yo mourn their loss immediately afterwards? Wasn't that being a little hypocritical?

And then why was he still looking for Rumi? Who had told this Demon's master anything about Rumi?

At least Hui Gai had some answers for now. He knew the place where Rumi had lived as a child, and he had learned his parents' names.

They were closer to the mouth of the dark cave now and Hui Gai was in two minds now: should he kill this guy and get it over with? Before he had two demons to deal with? Or should he wait?

But even while he was contemplating this ugly choice, the Universe took the decision out of his hands because the Sleeping Sickness Demon suddenly slipped and stumbled upon a loose stone.

With a fearsome cry, arms outstretched towards Rumi, he tumbled into the pit of acid and the stench of rotting meat engulfed the little boy. Hui Gai wasn't sure if he had ever smelled anything quite so bad in his life before. He stepped just out of reach and looked away because it was a pitiful sight to see.

Good riddance! Zago was chanting inside his head, and while Hui Gai agreed with her, a small part of him would have preferred to have fought the Sleeping Sickness Demon instead. This death ...it just seemed like a tragedy, a dishonourable death.

Only when the sounds of pain stopped, did Hui Gai venture to look, just to make sure that he really was dead. The stench was even worse now and Hui Gai was just seconds away from holding his nose, when he sensed movement from the corner of his eye.

"What's going on?" An unfamiliar voice growled behind him.

***************

In the Dragon's Graveyard, on top of the mountain, Suanni was sitting upright and alert. At first, Wen Ning didn't pay him much attention. Sure he was a big boy and it was kind of hard to ignore him, but he had done pretty much the same thing about six times already, and Wen Ning was thinking this was yet another false alarm.

But then, he began to growl-purr and Wen Ning had never heard anything like it before. He was perplexed because, was it a sign that something had gone wrong? Or, was something good about to happen?

Wen Ning had heard tales from both A-Yuan and Li XiWang about the Celestial Steed, and he had previously thought they, being children, were greatly exaggerating the truth. Li XiWang was short and everything looked bigger to her, while he had no excuse for A-Yuan.

But however many hours had passed by, he had felt extremely comfortable leaning against the golden fluffy long fur of the lion dragon. Suanni had been content to just lie there, watching the array change colours. It had turned from a bright green to a brilliant golden colour...but now, it was a blinding white light.

Wen Ning could not even tell apart the characters or any of the symbols now. The white light was so bold and bright that it illuminated the cocoon from underneath.

Shen Ling and Shen Qing were still feeding the array with spiritual energy and as a result, there was definitely more movement within.

Two clearly separate bodies were visible, slowly turning together.

From the way they had fallen asleep, Wen Ning was reminded of the sacred Yin-Yang symbol, a characterization of the perfect balance of the Universe.

Both parts equal in strength and properties, opposing forces that were interconnected through everything. Yin was negative, dark and feminine, while Yang was positive, bright and masculine. Their interaction was thought to maintain the harmony of the Universe.

As the two forms began to spin faster, one was becoming increasingly brighter, embracing the brilliance of the white light and reflecting it back, while the other form was drinking it in, absorbing the light and creating darkness.

Their speed increased until they were just a grey blur.

"It is time." Suanni said.

Faster and faster like a hurricane of power, and just as they broke through the ever thinning membrane of the cocoon, Suanni threw back his massive head and let out an almighty roar, one that reverberated through the air and echoed across the land.

Two forms, one white and one black shot up into the sky, as if marvelling at their new found freedom.*

*******

A/N

Dear Beautiful Readers,

*please see the cover of this book for a visual

I somehow managed to put it here. What do you guys think? With some help, I made this myself and I was so impressed when the colours came out exactly like our WangXian...

I shall try to write more now and maybe if I'm successful, there'll be another update tonight.

Thanks for all your support. I feel like I just launched this book, when in reality, it's been a few months and we have gone over 21K.

All of you are the best fans anyone could ever ask for!

Charlie.