Chapter 90 Battle

Zago leapt out of the Jade pendant with a spear in her hand from a flash of lightening and the crowd gasped, moving backwards.

"Oooh...I liked that one." Hui Gai told her. "Way better than coloured smoke. Why didn't you do that for me?" He asked her, while keeping both his eyes on Heian Wangzi, who looked surprised.

"Ostentatious." She muttered under her breath. "It's not classy...but I figured we're going for shock and awe." She glared at those closest to her and everyone stepped back. "Let's give these guys some space, shall we? Otherwise they might take someone's eye out." She warned, flexing with her spear.

Hui Gai knew what she was doing; creating space so a would-be attacker could be stopped faster.

He was ever so glad she had his back.

She tore open another green lollipop and stuck it in her mouth.

"What's that?" A little Demon asked her.

"Something you can't afford..." She told him snarkily.

"I swear those are unhealthy!" Hui Gai remarked, circling Heian Wangzi.

"And this isn't?" She threw him a disbelieving look.

Hui Gai barked out a laugh and focused.

Heian Wangzi whirled the sabre expertly with his arm, loosening his shoulder muscles which rippled dangerously.

Hui Gai watched him carefully but inside, he was talking to Chuo.

What do you think we need, friend? I'm going to trust your judgement...

Chuo rippled in excitement and transformed into a spear with a deadly sharp point.

Just in time, because Heian Wangzi had had enough time to ruminate, and he attacked.

Sparks flew as their weapons clashed together, and Hui Gai's spear shimmered with energy as it grew stronger...as if it was absorbing the shock of the force that the other demon's hits were causing.

Again and again, CLASH! BANG! WHACK!

Each shuddering hit was absorbed and Hui Gai saw with great satisfaction that while he was relatively unscathed from the jarring attacks, the other Demon visibly shook. He tightened his grip on his sabre and flew into a frenzy of whipping movement.

Hit after hit he tried, but Chuo deflected them all.

Then suddenly, Chuo changed tactics.

Hui Gai felt it in the way his hand could turn this way and that in the wind, in the same way, Chuo had been only defending him up till now...until it became savage.

It attacked Heian Wangzi with a renewed ferocity, every hit, every jab causing a nick on his dark skin.

The wounds were barely visible...but the drops falling onto the ground were easier to see.

As each one fell, Hui Gai's confidence grew and he threw himself into this fight.

They danced around each other with lethal strikes.

Heian Wangzi even got in a few well-aimed hits, deflected at the last minute, but one such lunge had him slicing Hui Gai's upper arm.

Hui Gai hissed in surprise and renewed his attack, noting that Chuo seemed really upset. It turned into a sword and Hui Gai leapt into action.

And then there was an almighty flash of white light and chaos descended.

Sparks flashed between them as Hui Gai was vaguely aware of shouts and cries of "Boss!" And he recognised the voices of people he saw as his friends, the almighty and massive Haitch with his vast array of weapons, Lor flitting in between the enemy, a flash of green, with Venator, Yezi firing arrow after arrow while the demons surrounding them broke out into confusing fights, with no idea on whose side they were.