Chapter 125 The Wedding Part 3

Wei Ying walked around Zhitiao one last time before they left her quarters, making sure her robes were beautifully worn. He admired the artistry of the craftsmen who had brought his vision to life, because he had drawn a tree that encompassed the entire back of the robes, the branches extending along the arms where young blossoms bloomed, and clouds gathered at the nape of her neck to symbolising JingYi's roots. The tree of course was to honour their Mother tree, who now was flourishing in Cloud Recesses.

"Thank you for remembering her." Zhitiao said as she linked arms with Wei Ying.

"Oh...that's alright. Wedding robes are special and I wanted to include both yours and JingYi's heritage." Wei Ying said, warmly. "Perhaps after the ceremony, if both of you want to visit her, you can."

"That's a great idea...I will ask JingYi."

Wei Ying felt happy about this wedding. Both JingYi and Zhitiao sort of matched in a weird kind of way and he was happy for both of them.

They arrived at the Great Hall and Lan Zhan kissed the top of Wei Ying's head as he nodded, an unspoken agreement that each one would be with their children, and since Zhitiao had asked Wei Ying already to accompany her inside, Lan Zhan was going inside to be with JingYi.

They need not have worried though, because Ouyang ZiZhen had arrived and now the four ducklings were together, as loud as was permitted in Cloud Recesses.

"Let's go slowly, okay?" Wei Ying encouraged Zhitiao. "It's completely understandable to be nervous going in. We just have to take it one step at a time..."

Zhitiao nodded, holding onto his arm now.

The nerves were winning as she looked at the guests waiting for her to enter.

"You can pretend that they're not there at all, you know." Wei Ying grinned at her. "That's what I had to do and none of them liked me to begin with. At least they know you by now..." He willed the memory away, that terrifying past life which continued to blend into this one. "If you keep your eyes down, it helps. Trust me." Wei Ying added.

He remembered holding Jiang Cheng and Wen Ning's hands when it was his turn...truly, getting married took guts no matter which gender.

"You're right...looking down helps." Zhitiao muttered under her breath and they started walking in.

Even Wei Ying felt the weight of stares as they walked past the lines of guests waiting to celebrate with them. He plastered a smile on his face and hoped Lan Zhan would not worry about it.

It was too much to hope that he wouldn't notice; they knew each other's faces so well by now that even micro expressions were noticed and understood.

In what seemed to take ages but was only a few minutes in reality, they reached the front of the Great Hall where JingYi was waiting for Zhitiao. His eyes were red-rimmed as though he was trying really hard not to cry.

Zhitiao was barely aware of Wei Ying leaving her side to go and stand next to Lan Zhan; she was too absorbed with the way JingYi was looking at her as if she was the centre of his world.

With a grace that she wasn't even aware she had, Zhitiao came and stood by JingYi at last, and under the billowing sleeves of their matching red silk robes, JingYi reached for her hand.

That first touch was all it took for them to feel relaxed now; everything would be okay as long as they were together.

The priests of the Lan Clan directed them to where the tablets of their ancestors were and the bride and groom bowed first to the heavens, second to their ancestors and this time, their parents who were Wei Ying and Lan Zhan, and then to each other.

The priests blessed their union and then Zhitiao made a request. She said she would like to go and visit the Mother Tree after the tea ceremony. JingYi was already smiling and nodding, and he made a request of his own: to visit the Dragon family. He had spent the night with them already and healed the part of his heart that constantly missed his Babies.

Pots of tea were ready for Zhitiao and JingYi to serve to their guests which they did. First cup honours went to Uncle Qiren and then it was Lan Zhan and Wei Ying, followed by XiChen and Jiang Cheng. Then everyone was served tea.

Lan Zhan was worried about Wei Ying, especially when he had seen him smiling because it never reached his eyes. When Wei Ying came to stand beside him, Lan Zhan had wrapped his arm around his body, and talked to him through their mental connection.

Wei Ying had reassured him that it was only the nerves of walking past so many people.

Now, as tables were being organised to prepare for the actual wedding banquet, Wei Ying saw Zhitiao and JingYi slip away with the Head Priest.

And then he took this opportunity to look around.

One guest in particular had not yet arrived, and he was anxiously waiting for her. He hadn’t told Li XiWang or Rumi that they had sent an invite, just in case she could not make it, but now Wei Ying just wanted to see her.

Rumi and Li XiWang had been waiting with XiChen and Jiang Cheng up till now, and since the wedding was sort of over, they wanted to go and visit the dragons too.

SiZhui was holding onto Jin Ling's arm, the sweetest boy emotional by this wedding of his best friend. JingYi had been his first friend too, ever since he had come to live in Cloud Recesses and to see him get married was like opening a door to another stage in their lives.

But he would always have his parents and his family, and more importantly, Jin Ling was right here, with him.

By the time the food was ready to be served, Zhitiao and JingYi were back and everyone was seated.

Perhaps times had changed since the past when banquets were conducted in silence, but those present were aware of the rules and tried to behave.

Wei Ying kept glancing at the door until Lan Zhan reminded him that the person he was waiting for, might decide to just teleport. That bought him some time and at least Wei Ying was less distracted, enough to eat everything Lan Zhan put on his plate.

And then, there was a commotion outside.