Chapter 103 Adventure

Uncle Qiren was looking at them expectantly.

"Did you find anything useful?" He asked with a note of eagerness in his voice.

"We found out that his parents loved him very much." Wei Ying offered. "They were exactly as Hui Gai had described them...so it's safe to say that everything we know seems to be true."

"Ah." Uncle Qiren did not say anything more but he seemed to understand Wei Ying’s disappointment and his sadness. "So..I take it that you will go ahead with your original plan?"

"Yes, Uncle. In fact, would you mind if Li XiWang stayed here with you? We won't be gone too long." Wei Ying made up his mind now.

They had spent too long dillydallying about what they were going to do and now it was time for action.

Li XiWang looked like she was going to protest.

Wei Ying opened his arms for her and she rushed into his lap.

"Why can't I come? I'll be good, I promise!" Her voice trembled.

Wei Ying hugged her tightly, rubbing her back soothingly.

"There's no one as good as you." He kissed her temple gently, his lips staying for longer than necessary. "But please, Little Rabbit, try to understand?" He waited for her to nod. When she did, he continued in the same volume, wanting to reassure her. "It's just that we don't know where we're going. We don't know what we're going to find once we get there...or what's waiting for us when we do. It'd put my heart at ease to know that you're safe, no matter what. I know you feel hurt and excluded...and I'm so sorry for doing this to you."

Lan Zhan stroked her hair softly.

"Do you understand, Little Rabbit?"

She nodded reluctantly.

"I know it's hard..." and then Wei Ying brightened. "Can you please do me favour?"

"Anything!" She brightened immediately.

"We have to find a cure for your Uncle Cheng...anything you can find would be most appreciated. I'm sure Uncle Qiren will be happy to assist." Wei Ying told her, stifling a smile because Uncle Qiren looked anything but happy.

"Is that really necessary?" He even asked. "Cloud Recesses has never been so serene and ... I miss that."

Li XiWang giggled.

"It's the right thing to do, Grumple. Let's go to the library. Father Wei...can we have the original recipe you used?"

Wei Ying felt better that she no longer looked upset, more excited at the prospect of another medical discovery.

He fished out a sheaf of parchments and handed them over.

Uncle Qiren’s face was comical in his obvious shock at the quality of the writing.

"Not mine, not mine!" Wei Ying defended himself. "That was Hui Gai's supplier's."

"Mn. Wei Ying’s is worse." Lan Zhan added, confidently.

"Hey, I can read it just fine." He muttered, swinging Rumi into his arms.

"No one can steal. It is code. Unbreakable." Lan Zhan actually smiled because he thought he was being funny.

"Alright, alright..."

Uncle Qiren smiled to himself, watching them go. He let himself be dragged to the library by his favourite grand niece and hoped for a successful outcome for everyone.

*****************

They returned to the Jingshi so Wei Ying could pick up some more talisman paper and anything else he thought they would need, and then they were ready to go.

"Nether World? Will Hui Gai be there?" Wei Ying asked Lan Zhan hopefully.

"Let's find out." Lan Zhan grabbed both Rumi and Wei Ying, and teleported them there.

Hui Gai? Where are you? Wei Ying called out as soon as they appeared outside the grand Palace.

Hui Gai arrived straight away, very pleased to see them. He hugged all three together, ignoring the changing emotions on Lan Zhan’s face.

"PengYou!" He eyed Rumi. "I'm guessing you're here for him...that's why no little girl...right?"

Wei Ying loved that about him. Hui Gai was so sharp that rarely any time had to be wasted in explaining anything to him - he just knew.

It was... refreshing.

"Yes. We left Li XiWang with Uncle."

"I see. Before we go, I just wanted to show you something?"

Hui Gai had never really expressed a desire to do so, so Wei Ying happily agreed.

They teleported outside a large wall, where several ladders had been erected. Children of all shapes and sizes had split up into teams and begun painting. It looked like a huge project.

"What's going on?" Wei Ying asked in amazement.

Both Rumi and Lan Zhan were enthralled at the vision slowly coming to life.

"Well, originally it was kind of an accident. Now...they're professionals. They go around the Nether World transforming all the dull areas to create works of art. There used to be only a few of them, but now we have twenty teams of thirty children. We recruit more every single day." Hui Gai felt quite proud of this achievement.

Wei Ying’s eyes had widened in approval.

"Come, let me show you the biggest one."

Again, they teleported to another area. This wall was easily fifteen feet high and twice as wide.

This picture was magnificent.

It looked like a real waterfall, with white creamy froth lathering the blue waves crashing on top of the blue boulders. The sky was cloudy and if Wei Ying imagined it strongly enough, he could swear that the same jasmine fragrance from Cloud Recesses was here. Every detail was on point, from the birds sitting in the trees to the ones in flight. The trees themselves were of every shade of green imaginable.

"Wow..." Wei Ying breathed out, going to touch it, just to make sure it was only a painting. "This is..."

"Captivating..." Lan Zhan said. But he was looking at Wei Ying.

Wei Ying blushed as Hui Gai grinned.

"There are more...but I can show you later. Let's get this show on the road."