Chapter 72 News

Hui Gai and Zago transported back to Cloud Recesses, just outside the Hanshi.

"I thought we were going to the other house..." Zago said, under her breath as Hui Gai rapped on the door.

"We will...in a bit. I think PengYou with want me to explain to these two what's going on."

There was an unfamiliar noise coming from the distance away from the Hanshi and before Hui Gai could concentrate or identify what it was, the door in front of them opened and a harried looking Jiang Cheng stood there trying not to glare.

"Hi!" Hui Gai said cheerfully, wondering what his problem was.

They had only left yesterday and he couldn't think of a reason why the Jiang Sect Leader would be looking so out of sorts.

Jiang Cheng looked behind him and then to the sides.

"Where's Wen Ning? I thought you were going to bring him back?" He said, using all his self control not to scowl. Scowling was dangerous around this guy.

"He wanted to stay...and no offence, but where's the happy one?" Hui Gai asked pleasantly.

"Obviously not here." This time, Jiang Cheng did scowl.

He didn't like it at all that the Demon was trying to be familiar with his husband.

"Well...can you call him? Or do we have to go looking?" Hui Gai was losing patience now.

He didn't like obstacles as a general rule, but to be fair, he had given this one a chance. Like two...already...

"We can go to him. He's dealing with...something..." Jiang Cheng sighed and came out from his home, carefully closing the door behind him.

The noise that Hui Gai had heard earlier was getting louder and louder as they walked to the Great Hall. And then, as they rounded the corner of the mountain path, Hui Gai finally saw what was causing the commotion.

There were hundreds of baby piglets oinking and running around from one place to another, while disciples struggled to maintain control. Someone had constructed a low pen to try and keep them in one place, but these little darlings were quite ingenious in escaping. Every time two were brought back, ten had jumped over the little barrier.

"I thought you guys were vegetarians?" Hui Gai remarked, carefully stepping over the tiny furry bodies.

"We are." Fumed Jiang Cheng. "Well, the Lans are...but when you marry a vegetarian, you practically become one yourself...you know?"

"So....then, branching out? Cultivation not paying as well as it used to?" Hui Gai suggested.

"No! NO!" Jiang Cheng suddenly understood what he was implying. "Anyway...he's in there." He pushed open the double doors and led the two demons inside.

Piglets had gotten in here too and while the most youthful ones chased the naughty babies around, Hui Gai spotted XiChen who was stroking a little pink baby in his lap absentmindedly, while still writing the most beautiful calligraphy on a parchment paper. Baby Li Li was sticking her finger through the ringlet of a tail on one of the piglets and chortling loudly.

"Wow...this place sure has changed." Hui Gai said, grinning.

XiChen put his brush down and smiled politely.

"How may we help you?" He asked.

"Well actually, we have news for you." Hui Gai made himself comfortable across from XiChen while Zago stood behind him, not on guard.

She had a low opinion of human beings.

"Is this about A-Xian and WangJi?" XiChen suddenly looked very alert.

"Yes. They're safe...as safe as to be expected." Hui Gai gave them a run down of everything they had seen in the Dragon's Graveyard. "Wen Ning wanted to stay...and I don't blame him. Suanni was keeping a watch over them too."

"Thank you for bringing our children back safely." XiChen told him, nudging Jiang Cheng pointedly.

He had to do it three more times before Jiang Cheng made a face and spoke.

"Thank you."

"For what?" XiChen coaxed him to say more.

"For bringing Jin Ling and SiZhui back." He scowled into his teacup.

"No worries, I didn’t do it for you." Hui Gai replied, airily. "Anyway...what's going on with the piglets? You guys changing religion or something?"

"Oh yes...I had wanted to mention that to you." XiChen sat up straighter. "They're actually disciples. The strangest thing is, people can leave just fine, but when they come back, as soon as they pass through the wards A-Xian set up, they suddenly turn into little piglets...you wouldn't happen to know anything about that...would you?"

"No." Hui Gai lied with a straight face.

He thought that extra tweaking he had done to the wards to strengthen them would have allowed for the returning Lans to be identified...but he must have forgotten about that part...oh well...what was done, was done.

XiChen looked as if he didn't quite believe him. But he smiled diplomatically and picked up his brush again.

"And what about your plan? The one you said would definitely work because you had things under control?" He asked.

Hui Gai thought back quickly.

"Oh yeah...that..." He grinned confidently back at XiChen. "That's totally fine. This is like the second day...right? So I have still three more days of practice before I have to do the real thing...yes? I'm thinking it will take that long, because I'll have to be really convincing if we're gonna pull it off and-"

"Wait, wait!" XiChen interrupted him quickly, looking all sorts of worried and concerned. "Did you say three more days? We have three more?"

"Yes...? Don't we?" It was now Hui Gai's turn to look puzzled.

"Hui Gai...it is with the utmost respect that I have to inform you...today is the last day. The Sleeping Sickness Demon is expected at any time, although we suspect they will turn up tonight. They expect us to hand over Rumi...when he turns up." XiChen explained.

"So you're saying...tonight is the fifth night?" Hui Gai was saying the words but they weren't making sense. "Hold on...when we were up on that mountain, Suanni said that time moves faster there...is that why everything felt strange?"

XiChen didn't answer, instead both he and Jiang Cheng stared back, dread on both their faces.

Hui Gai stared back, only then understanding that his time had finally run out.