Chapter 66 Stick

Hui Gai appeared inside the necklace made from the onyx that used to be the knife handle*.

He remembered living in here when it was still a dark place. No light, and because of his curse, no freedom. He had not even come out of this dark hole until the shining light which was Wei Ying burst into his life.

That single connection changed his life completely.

He owed everything to Wei Ying and he did not mind any sacrifice, any payment because somewhere along the line, they stopped seeing it as a debt. Hui Gai wasn't even sure if Wei Ying had ever seen it as a debt to begin with, but he himself had. Not as a debt to Wei Ying but a chance to better himself. And now whatever he did, he could recognise it because it was done out of love.

Oge had transformed his former home. She and Klem, and now Jez, their family was thriving in this second home.

Today they had guests, and Hui Gai knew that both his children and Oge had been looking forward to playing with Li XiWang and Rumi.

This was the safest place for the children, because not only were they hidden inside the necklace, but it was buried under piles of clothes inside the Jingshi. No one knew of this secret hiding place, and since Cloud Recesses had become a fortress thanks to PengYou, his family was safe.

Oge thought of Li XiWang and Rumi as her own, and Hui Gai was discovering day by day that her heart was bigger than the sun.

Li XiWang came back to his side and the other children crowded around.

"Didn't you say you had a surprise for me?" She asked, tugging on his tail.

Hui Gai had forgotten all about it.

He brought forth the stick that he and Baoshan Sanren had obtained from behind the ward under the library, hidden in its foundations.

"So it's been there all this time?" Li XiWang said.

"Yes, apparently. And your grandmother wouldn't touch it, for some reason." Hui Gai turned it over and over again in his hands.

"Why not? What did she think was going to happen?" Li XiWang was intrigued, wanting to know more.

"I really don't know." He admitted. "It was hidden inside a beautiful white box...and I got the feeling that I needed to earn the right to hold it. When I touched the box, it transported us back into the Forbidden room, and a strong power ran through my body. Plus, your Grandmother is too capable a cultivator, she could have gotten this box out from where it was hidden all by herself, because she got us back...but I think she wanted me to do everything. By myself."

"Then I think this must be especially for you." Li XiWang carefully pointed in its direction, but did not touch it. "Did anything happen when you touched it?" She asked him.

"I got a shock. Right through my body." Hui Gai admitted, examining the smooth stick again. "I was hoping you could help me figure it out." He grinned at her.

"Me? Why?" She asked, shocked.

"Well, after your fathers and your grandmother, you're the smartest person I know...I thought you might have ... I don't know, maybe a guess at what I've got to do? Your grandmother said I've got to activate it but I have no idea how to do that."

"So...is it like a weapon, then?" Li XiWang guessed.

"Maybe? Why?"

"Oh...I was just thinking...when I had to pick out my spiritual weapon, Father Wei said I should pick according to what I was attracted to...and I got two." Li XiWang explained. "But I remember that Father Zhan said a spiritual weapon is an extention of one's self...and I had to pick out a name."

"You think I've got to name it?" Hui Gai asked, looking doubtfully at first her, then the plain black stick.

"Yeah...otherwise how are you going to make a connection with it? Father Zhan said the best kind of spiritual weapon is the one which knows what you need, how much force you should expend...that sort of thing. But naming comes first. Absolutely." She reiterated.

"Got any suggestions?" He asked, hopefully.

Li XiWang smacked his arm playfully, giggling.

"You've got to think of it, silly. It won't work if I do it. I think that's why Gramps didn't touch it. And if you say that you kept getting shocks every time you touched it, then it's definitely trying to connect with you. You just have to try harder. And whatever you come up with...it better be something good...not like...I dunno, Fairy..." She giggled more.

"Fairy isn't a good name? Hui Gai asked, uncertainly.

"Um...it depends. He's really sweet so I guess so...but imagine you wanted an attack dog...Fairy kind of kills the tension, if you know what I mean..." Li XiWang explained.

"So how will I know it's the right name?"

"You'll know...in here." Li XiWang put her tiny hand on his heart. "It's like everything will make sense. And if your weapon likes the name, something will happen."

"What?" He asked her eagerly.

"I dunno. It's different for everyone." She admitted. "Father Zhan said Bichen was the name his ancestors had called his sword. Father Wei said his was an accident." She laughed, helplessly. "I mean, it would happen to him, of all people."

"Alright, I've got to call it something and then you said something is going to happen...have I got this right?" Hui Gai looked to her for confirmation.

She nodded enthusiastically.

"It sounds rather vague to me, but okay...I'll think of something." Hui Gai promised.

But in the meantime, he had lots to do.

Too much, and only four days left to do it in.

*********

A/N

*Book 2 Chapter 18 Demon

Dear Beautiful Readers,

Thank you so much for sticking with me. This book has reached 17K since the first chapter published on 20th June 2022, in just two months! I can't even believe we're at chapter 66, but I guess as we're all having a good time, let's continue.

Good night/day to all of you and happy dreams.

Charlie