The Selection

Considering that the entire house was new to the Fu family, they adapted very fast. They mastered every aspect of the house's operation within a week. They received a total of two rooms. The Fu parent shared a room, and since Fu Xiaosheng slept in the bedroom of the young masters, only Fu Wen and Fu Suyin utilized the second room.

Each member of the family received two hanfus out of a total of ten given to the entire family. Due to the fact that they were unmarried, Fu Suyin and Fu Wen were given a light pink one and a light blue one, four hairpins respectively, as well as two sets of shoes—a light blue pair and a black pair. The Fu parents' colors were less vivid because they were married. Both a pale green and a dark blue hanfu were handed to them. They received a pair of gray and black shoes, four hairpins for Auntie Fu and four brooches for Uncle Fu. Likewise, Fu Xiasheng received bright and colorful clothing because he wasn't yet married. He received a pale crimson and a bright yellow hanfu. A black pair and a white pair of shoes were given to him. He received a hair crown and three brooches.

The way the Fu family was treated stunned them. The beds were soft, and the bedrooms were spacious. Although it couldn't compare to the other beautifully designed chambers, the one their previous master had provided them with was far inferior. Despite being uniforms, the hanfus that were handed to them were nonetheless superior than most. Nobody cared if you were still unmarried in the large family where they worked, therefore they wouldn't give you such high-quality, colorful clothing, especially the madams. Only the bedchamber attendants received such good treatment.

Their allowance was pretty high, and they were treated so well by their masters so they were very satisfied. And they were even more motivated to work, especially Fu Suyin who was currently looking for a potential fiancee. He was at the age to be engaged or married but he had yet to do so, so he wanted to work hard to have a decent dowry. He took great care of the babies and their mother who was in her one-month confinement. The others also didn't slack off and did their utmost.

Even though Auntie Fu took over the majority of household duties, including cooking, after she began working, Tang Shushui was still in charge of packing the children's lunches. First, it was because the children enjoyed his food a lot, and second, it was because Auntie Fu couldn't put together a bento. He prepared the kids' Bentos as a result by rising early in the morning. Since there was a special event at the school today, he made sure to decorate it skillfully. He had bowls manufactured especially for the Bentos, so he was never hesitant to go all out.

Fu Suyin prepared the children as soon as they awakened. They simply needed to get dressed since Tang Shushui had already prepared the clothes they would wear since yesterday. The children were dressed fancier today. Due to the children's attractive looks and the lavish embellishments and embroidery on their clothing, they all appeared to be young children from aristocratic families. After finished getting ready, everyone hurried to the kitchen to grab their bentos and quickly packed them into the lunchboxes that Tang Shushui had designed for them.

Seeing the kids ready to go to school, Tang Shushui gave them each a kiss on their foreheads and then gave them their spending money. After that Fu Suyin took them to the village entrance to take the cart to bring them to school. When they arrived Fu Suyin went grocery shopping and left the kids to enter the school with Fu Xiosheng.

It wasn't unusual for children to bring their little attendant to school, but it was a bit rare for one to be so nicely dressed. He stood out among the other young attendants even if it couldn't compare to how his little masters were dressed. Fu Xiosheng had experience in serving young masters and ladies because he had been doing so since he was six years old. But he had to acknowledge that his life was much smoother nowadays than it had been before. He therefore had great respect for the small masters who didn't act like spoilt brats every now and and then.

As the kids made their way to their classrooms they could see that everyone held this event in high regard. All the kids, both rich and peasant kids brought out their best clothes for today. You could tell today was an extremely important day because the most arrogant kids appeared nervous. This in return made the poor students even more nervous.

The teacher just looked and didn't say anything, after all this was totally expected. Since the school has been climbing up and ranks, the tuition got more expensive, making more and more folks pull to their kids out the school, and more nobles started putting their kids in the school. The school eventually became the top school in town and earned itself a respectable reputation.

And as result they would be able to participate in this year's famous 'Shǔqí xuéxí bǐsài'. 'Shǔqí xuéxí bǐsài' is a famous competition that was hosted by the best of the best in the entire empire. Each year at the end of the Summer Festival, there was an educational competition. Kids from five and up could join. The school would pick the best from their school and send them to the completion. After more than a hundred years their school were finally invited so they were extremely happy. Today was the day of the selection, and the day they would meet the five judges.

It is hardly surprising that everyone was so anxious because the five judges were exceptionally important individuals, and meeting them might even help them with their future.The judges were this century's best, and even the emperor held them in high regards.

The judges for this year were Shao Menxiang. She was first in all five arts, with the exception of poetry, and ranked third among the most beautiful people in the empire. The following was Tang Ling, a ger. He was number one in poetry and literature and ranked sixth among the most handsome people in the empire. Kang Heng, a general who ranked first in martial arts, was the third person. Tang Fang, who came in at number four and was the best in mathematics. The last was Wu Bao, who placed first in both literature and calligraphy. The kids' astonishment was understandable given that the five made up one of the empire's strongest pillars. The principal then summoned the students to begin the selection after allowing them to settle down.

Hello lovelies! Here's an update!

Question of the day.

Coffee or Hot Chocolate?