Zhangjie Shushui

Seeing how clumsy Chun Hua was many of the students mocked her and said it was because she was a commoner. They also mocked her gege and said he was only pretty and probably didn't know anything, but some of those who knew her stood up for her and said that her gege was cool and that he also owned a big restaurant. Some of the nobles sneered at that even more. So what if he owned a restaurant? It was not the best in town, but those who tasted the food from the restaurant closed their mouth tacitly. Seeing how noisy it was, Shao Menxiang asked them to be quiet. The kids were scared of her so they all quieted down.

"You may start," Shao Menxiang instructed.

Chun Hua knew what she had to do, so she went and sat down on the low table and performed the stitches. Unlike the serious third Lady Lao, Chun Hua was smiling the whole time while embroidering. She then put her embroidery down and made her way to the qin. 

Unlike the melodious song Chun Hua played that made everyone feel at ease, the song Chun Hua played made everyone feel sad. The kids just thought that the song was sad on instinct but the adults felt like the song was almost heartwrenching. The judges were shocked by the amount of emotion in the song. They also did not seem to know this song. They didn't want to believe that this little girl composed this superb piece.

"Were you the one who composed this piece, Miss Hua?" Tang Ling asked gently.

"No, my gege did and he taught it to me because I liked it," Chun Hua answered her voice filled with pride, but this time nobody had the guts to ridicule her. Even though her gege owned a restaurant he still was very talented, so talented that he shocked the best of the best in the empire. Those who hadn't met Chun Hua'a gege suddenly had the urge to.

Tang Shushui who would know of this later didn't know that the song would make such a commotion.  When he first started teaching Chun Hua, she quickly learned the basics of the guqin but had yet to learn a song. Tang Shushui did know some traditional guqin songs but he hadn't played them for a long time so he wasn't confident in them. So he took a lot of modern songs and played them, and then asked Chun Hua to choose the one she liked the most. 

He played Lovely, Say You Won't Let Go, and Bruises.  Out of all these options Chun Hua decided on bruises. It took her a whole two months to master the song. And that was the only song she knew. So to say that Chun Hua was a genius would be an exaggeration, but she was indeed very talented. So it was no surprise that she managed to surprise everyone.

Next was Chaoxiang, hence he got up and went to the stage. Chaoxiang picked martial arts and arithmetic. For the martial arts demonstration, one had to come with their attendants, so Fu Xiaosheng was called to the stage to help his little master. For the arithmetics demonstration, one had to take two tests, a verbal one and a written one. 

"Zhangjie Chaoxiang, the sibling of Zhangjie Chun Hua right?" Tang Fang's cold voice resonated in the hall as he asked.

"Yes sir," Chaoxiang responded respectfully.

"Your teacher?" Tang Fang inquired.

"Zhangjie Shushui," Chaoxiang answered politely. His answer caused the judges to raise an eyebrow. He was the tutor of both kids who competed in different areas. If this guy was as good as his sister, then this Zhangjie Shushui's talent would be formidable.

"You may begin," Tang Fang instructed.

The kids got slapped hard after ridiculing Chun Hua last time, thus they didn't speculate a lot. The hall was quiet, and the kids were very focused on the stage. Even Zheng Renshu who was indifferent to all the performances looked attentively at the figure on stage. He was two years older than this kid and wanted to see what he could do. He could hear them bragging about their gege since they sat down, and it was obvious that they showed no interest in the judges of this year. At first, he thought that they were just stupid but after listening to the dispute between the third Lady Lao and them, he thought otherwise. Plus how good the little girl was when she played the qin impressed him more. He was getting more and more interested in these kids, so he paid more attention to them.

Chaoxiang didn't feel nervous by the stares at all and began the demonstration of his martial arts. His gege's style of fighting was very wide and it took him a long time to master some moves. His martial arts were a combination of hand-to-hand combat and kung fu, and some other moves that Tang Shushui learned from his assassin guild were thrown in there. Fu Xiaosheng had put on some protective gear, so Chaoxiang was not scared to show what he was capable of. As he demonstrated his martial arts, Kang Heng was surprised. Everywhere the little kid his was a critical point that could injure a person really badly. Zheng Renshu wasn't stupid and could also see what was going on. This kid's gege was an exceptional martial artist to know all of these moves, and some of them were even unknown to them.

After demonstrating his talents in martial arts, Chaoxiang moved on to arithmetics. Arithmetic wasn't very popular among the students for one reason, humiliation. The verbal test would be conducted by a judge, and they would give you a problem for you to solve on the spot. You would be given only given a fen (15 secs) to solve it, which in modern times would be about fourteen seconds. Many of those who made mistakes would become laughingstocks of their school so they didn't sign up for it. And those who sign up for it would be at least ten or twelve. So for a seven-year-old to sign up for it was rare.

Tang Fang didn't really care nor did he plan to ease things up for him just because he signed up for arithmetic when everybody else was hesitant. He pulled up the paper he prepared for Chaoxiang and started his questioning. Since the examinee is seven, he was obliged to only ask hin five him elementary arithmetic questions. The first question of the test was a question to be solved using addition one and was fairly hard, but Chaoxiang handled it with ease. The second two questions were subtraction problem which was harder for Chaoxiang, he handled one with difficulty and failed the other one. The last three questions were division, and he handled them very well. Tang Fang saw that his foundation was pretty strong and added four more additional problems which were harder than the ones before, but it seemed like Chaoxiang was even more comfortable.

Chaoxiang didn't have a problem with division and addition because Tang Shushui had taught him multiplication, which had yet to be discovered in this world. So instead of adding and memorizing everything, he just memorized his multiplication table and was able to handle everything with ease. He did lack in subtraction but he is working pretty hard. Out of the ten questions, he only got one wrong, and that was a new record for the school, so compared to most Chaoxiang was indeed pretty excellent.

Tang Fang and the other judges were very surprised to see the siblings be so talented. They looked back at their table and saw that there were two other kids left. They wondered if these kids were just as good as well. If these kids were truly as good as the two siblings who just performed then they had to swing by the restaurant and see this gege of theirs.  

Hello, Lovelies! Here's an update!

Question of the day.

Melodrama or RomCom?