Overwhelmed

The next day, Tang Shushui once again made his way to his boutique to ensure everything was going accordingly. Currently, the platform for the runway show was being built, and so he went to check out the recruited models. Most of the models were high-ranked courtesans he bought. There were about fifteen of them, and others were some of his employees.

Tang Shushui arrived today with a clear purpose: to refine the courtesans' walks and brush up on his makeup skills. While he was adept at makeup, his recent focus had been on simpler applications, mainly on himself and Haohao. Today marked a chance for him to practice with the models, his skills are in need of a bit of polishing.

The courtesans, known for their agility and grace, moved with a certain elegance that set them apart from the other employees. When they listened to Tang Shushui's ideas and witnessed his adeptness with makeup, they felt reassured that their decision to join him was the right one. They were pleased to see his innovative ideas and skills, recognizing the potential for improvement and success under his guidance.

When Tang Shushui first came to buy them they were a little confused and hesitated but when they heard the terms and the salary they immediately agreed and followed him. The brothel they worked in was in town, so they weren't as comfortable as those courtesans in the capital who were richer than some merchants. Even if they were high-ranked and were not touched, their salary depended on if they pleased their patrons, and most of that would go to the head lady who managed them, so buying their deeds would probably be possible only in their late forties, but what can they do at that age? So when they heard Tang Shushui's demands and salary they immediately agreed. The head lady was greedy, so she did not give Tang Shushui a hard time and sold them. And now it looks like they made the right decision.

The process of course was a little arduous. They had to take measures, learn how to walk and work on their skin meticulously, but the boss treated them well. Their monthly salary started at twenty taels, they did have to adhere to horrible diets, and they could go out and have fun. After a week with the boss, they got along with the employees and also worshipped the boss.

For Tang Shushui, he was also swamped. He had to learn how to use ancient makeup to do modern makeup, which was not for the weak. But the system gave him some eyeshadow at least so he shouldn't be too hard. And even though he was opening a new establishment he still took care of his restaurant.

After working for a while more and being satisfied with the progress made at his boutique, he made his way back to his bustling restaurant, since Lin Shi Qing had told him about the decline in revenue, and how they were almost in the red he had cut down on some things. At home, they were no longer as extravagant and only bought what they needed. But now he was going to open the boutique, he used a huge sum from the earnings of the restaurant, and he had to earn some money before opening his boutique, or else they would be in debt.

As he was deep in his thought he stepped through the familiar doors and was greeted by the comforting aroma of freshly brewed coffee, a scent that had become synonymous with his establishment.

As he looked around he noticed that most of his patrons had a cup of coffee, even though it was afternoon the sales of coffee did not decline. Coffee was not really used in this empire because not many people knew how to make it consumable and make a profit from it. A lot of high-ranking nobles knew that coffee beans could be used for energy and consumed it, but their method of doing this was just by chewing the beans which was extremely unpleasant. 

And with the way they loved to gatekeep, the lower-ranking nobles, and commoners were in the dark about coffee being consumable at all. So when he introduced coffee and people realized its effect, his launch blew up, but he was not very considerate of his environment so the popularity of the drink died quickly.

Their empire, Jiangnan*, was situated in the south and was hotter than the surrounding kingdoms. While most countries had an even balance of the seasons, theirs was quite chaotic. Most of the time the empire was hot, for about six months they had unbearable heat, then for two months it was cool, not too cold not too hot, and then they had two months of 'winter' which was just a cold period with a little bit of snow, and then it was back to heat. So hot coffee in this unbearable heat was not a very wise decision.

He was not very good when it came to business, and that's why a natural talent like Li Shi Qing was basically in charge of his establishment. If he was the one in charge, he probably would've already gone bankrupt with his poor managing skills. 

So after eating and talking with Li Shi Qing his next move would be iced coffee. And that would indeed be a challenge because he did not have the flavors, syrups, and garnishes he had back in his world, but a basic latte with cold foam could be done. So currently he and Li Shi Qing are in the planning stages to introduce iced coffee in order to make enough profit to keep the restaurant running. So when he came to the restaurant to experiment with the new menu, he also took his time to study his customers and make observations, and Li Shi Qing was right. Though some people bought the coffee most of them were well-dressed merchants and nobles of rank who had duties, the wives and normal citizens all bought cold beverages or water and did not order coffee. 

After observing Tang Shushui calmly made his way to the kitchen after some small chit-chat with the patrons he knew, but his heart was not as calm. He didn't want to admit it but he was overwhelmed. Since he transmigrated his life had been very smooth sailing, and he thought that with his modern knowledge, there was no way he would not succeed but now he was rethinking his choices. Did he bite off more than he could chew?

Notes

*I don't know if named the empire already, if I did pls let me know.