03. the old maud

◖𓈈﹗﹙chapter three﹚
❛ ▬▬ the old maud . . .

 ❜

                Lilith took the time to make a folder with everything she thought important for her mother's case. She had read a lot of police novel too know how crucial the first 42 hours were: a person's trail was as hot as the flames and the clues were still clean.

              "What is this?" Dean Winchester asked, staring at the black folder full of papers Lilith had just left on the coffee table after looking for it from her room.

               Sam raised his eyebrows from under the tangled hair that hid a prominent forehead and tried to grab it first. However, his older brother took it first.

              "It's a file I made," the young woman replied, crossing her legs. "I compiled everything I know so far and info that I think may be important. Bobby helped me and also has a copy, but this one has notes of my own, you know, more personal..."

              "You didn't tell me anything." Sam commented slightly disappointed.

              "You also have a missing father to take care of and you're saving people from ghosts and monsters. Everyone has their own business, plus Bobby's there helping me. I can't ask for your help too."

              "It's pretty good, very fine work for a rookie," Dean turned the pages with keen interest. He leaned back against the comfortable backrest to continue reading. "Very good."

              The folder was divided in five sections.

              The first one consisted of an index card with her mother's information that gave her a legal identity as a person, and she had attached a paper clip with a color printout of a photograph that gave a glimpse of her distinguishing physical characteristics, such as the high cheekbones beneath ice blue eyes that made Lilith feel scolded —as if Mom was about to jump out of the photograph to make a speech about why she was going to be grounded for the next two weeks— and the scarred chin that she let glisten in a ponytail.

              The second was about her job. She made a list of all the members of the law firm along with a phone number and address to reach them, and had also added the degree of relationship she shared with her mother. She always spoke of her colleagues and made a clear opinion. There were some who she did not exactly hear nice adjectives. Also, in that area she described a brief report of the most dangerous cases that mom had taken and that ended in a scandal capable of escalating to television.

              Mom wasn't a social person, so the third part was easier: mom's relationships. There was no detail she didn't know, mom told her everything and wasn't shy about telling her the story of the short-lived affairs that have dinner with them. For some strange reason, no man ever succeeded in making Mother's cold heart fall in love.