33. two faces

◖𓈈﹗﹙chapter thirty-three﹚

▬▬ the seal from another world . . .

"¿Cómo puede ser verdad? Last Night I dreamt of San Pedro

"¿Cómo puede ser verdad? Last Night I dreamt of San Pedro. Just like I'd never gone, I knew the song. Young girl with eyes like the desert. It all seems like yesterday, not far away. Tropical the island breeze. All of nature wild and free. This is where I long to be, la isla bonita..."

Lilith sang in her boyfriend's living room, the speakers blaring so loud that the music echoed throughout the house. With nothing but black panties and a tight-fitting top clinging to her body, she drank from a bottle of vodka as the clock struck four in the afternoon. She had returned early from the cemetery because Dorian had things to do. Dancing and singing with the false happiness of a mind clouded by the toxic substance, she couldn't think of anything else but the present, and that was perfect for Lilith. Thinking about the past or the future overwhelmed her, causing so much anxiety that she ended up in bed playing the Brain Challenge game, focusing on mathematical equations. If she thought about numbers and multiplication, she wouldn't think about her deceased mother.

"Come on, Prayer! Dance with me!" She lifted the poor cat off the floor and squeezed it against her chest while twirling and shaking her head. The cat wasn't too pleased and meowed, demanding to be let down. "Well, well, you don't like to dance, I get it."

Suddenly, in the middle of the chorus, the music stopped.

"Hey!"

Mandy and Galilea were standing next to the speaker, watching her. When had they arrived? They appeared like the witches they were, or wait, Lilith remembered that Dorian mentioned they were coming to his mansion.

"Hello, Lilith. How are you?" Mandy was the first to approach, but Lilith hated that she didn't speak to her with the same cheerful and expressive tone as before. Now that she thought about it, Mandy might be high as a kite to maintain that level of enthusiasm. "We wanted to see if you needed anything."

"Hey, girls!" Lilith's words stumbled awkwardly. Mandy approached and hugged her, squeezing her frail arms tightly. On the other hand, Galilea kept her distance, looking frightened. Was she scared of what she saw? Lilith was too.

"Hello, Lilith," the girl from the Christian community finally spoke, or rather, the sect. "Have you eaten anything? I can cook something for you. I know how to cook."

"Laadiiies, look, I understand you're worried about me. I would be too if the roles were reversed. I'm doing what I can, and... vodka is delicious. You don't have to worry; I'm fine. Today I had a latte, so I ate." She smiled, showing her teeth.

The situation became awkward, and neither of the girls could fake a smile for her peace of mind. They looked at her sadly, on the verge of tears, burdened by past regrets. Lilith began tapping her middle finger against the back of the bottle rapidly and simultaneously. She was stressed by the way her dear friends were scrutinizing her like that. She wasn't the one who was sad; her mother's death was sad. They should think about that for a second! Maybe it would make her feel better...