29. my kind of christmas

◖𓈈﹗ ﹙ chapter twenty-nine ﹚
❛ ▬▬ my kind of christmas . . . ❜

December had finally arrived, the last month of the year. Lilith was filled with a joyful sense of homecoming that she had missed during her months of solitude. She felt happier than ever with what she had achieved, finally understanding what made her truly happy. Together with her mom, they decorated every corner of their house with a delightful golden, red, and green aesthetic, accompanied by their favorite Christmas albums by Regina, including the legendary "Merry Christmas" by the undisputed queen of Christmas, Mariah Carey, and one of her favorite singers, Etta James' "Twelve Songs Of Christmas." Occasionally, they would play an old, worn-out copy of Madonna's "Santa Baby" on the record player that her mom had since '87. One afternoon, Dorian had come over to their house to have lunch together and hang out. He mentioned that he had sold a couple of shares he had invested in YouTube back in 2005 for hundreds of millions and was very excited about new projects. But what Lilith remembered most from that afternoon was their futile attempt to build a snowman in the backyard, which they ended up naming Bob the Drunkard because the middle snowball turned out much bigger than the others, and they placed empty whiskey bottles at its feet to add to its character.

The Arduenn girls loved creating a grand display of lights in front of their house. Every year, they tried to outdo themselves, even though they had already been the best-decorated house on the block for twenty-one years. Not even the Smith family could beat them with their Santa Claus climbing the chimney. They had gone through all kinds of aesthetics, from an overload of lights to minimalism. This year, they wanted it to be as cozy as possible. It took them the whole day to hang the lights on the roofs and edges of the house and to make sure they were straight. It was more difficult than it seemed, but it had never been a nuisance. The result was one of their most beautiful decorations, which even the old Mrs. Maud admired.

"My decoration with candles and natural flowers is more Christmassy than anything anyone can do. It's more beautiful than those artificial lights that hurt my parrots' eyes. But I enjoyed seeing your decorated house; it's very pretty. The Milers stole the show last year, although in my opinion, their house was a jumble of senseless colors. It looked like the house of the crazy chocolate guy with the hat."

Lilith's family was small. Her mom was adopted and became the only child of the Arduenns. When she decided to become a mother herself, she didn't want another child, so Lilith had no siblings. The only person she considered as an uncle (and maybe a sort of father figure) was Bobby, but he didn't have any children either, so cousins were out of the picture. Their Christmases had always been spent with her mom and grandparents, until they passed away a couple of years ago. It was just the two of them now, and sometimes the Winchester brothers would show up. Their door was always open during the holidays; it was a matter of luck if they appeared. Lilith remembered that when they were younger, Sam and Dean used to be with her more often during Christmas, but as they grew older, hunting kept them busy and in faraway states, and Christmas Eve would already be over by the time they arrived. This year, more than ever, Lilith wished they would come to her house.

Dean

I see movement, I have to go. 

Lilith

Okie dokie, be careful. 

Dean

We'll talk later.
Sent on December 22 at 2:37 am.

Lilith and Dean would talk a lot when he had a hunt that required him to watch over a potential victim's house throughout the night. Usually, Lilith would stay up late trying to find a damn solution to her deal, but she always made time to chat with Dean. Sometimes she would call him and listen to his new anecdotes, like the one about Maple Springs, where they found a case in a remote town with murders resembling Grimm's fairy tales, or the one involving a rabbit's foot and Sam losing a shoe down a sewer drain. The hunter thoroughly enjoyed recounting his exploits and his most heroic moments, and Lilith was a receptive audience. They would laugh at the same things because they had a similar sense of humor, or they would digress and end up talking about how stupid people could be. Dean had dealt with all kinds of people in his cases, and Lilith couldn't understand how he didn't just tell them all to go to hell. She would've. She didn't only talk to Dean when Sam wasn't with him; on other nights, they would have long sessions with Sam, thinking of ways to save him.