31. the attempt before the storm

◖𓈈﹗﹙thirty-one﹚
❛ ▬▬ the attempt before the storm . . . ❜

"It's a very beautiful place, I like it," Lilith said. She had gone out on a date with Dorian on a spectacular night. He took her to an expensive and elegant restaurant in downtown Cambridge, hinting at an important occasion that had left her tormented as she prepared to go out. Her mother helped her put her hair up in a bun at the nape of her neck, and she wore a simple white silk dress that clung to her body, with an open back, delicate. Mom had sprinkled a bit of shimmer on her shoulders and collarbone, which served as a stage for the heart necklace. Lilith looked beautiful that night. Her false eyelashes accentuated her cerulean eyes, the soft blush on her cheeks gave her an adorable look, and she barely tinted her crimson lips. She was nervous about what was to come; he was going to ask her to be his girlfriend. Barbara had spilled the beans to her mother, and her mother had told Lilith.

"That's right," Dorian agreed, his pointy nose buried in the wine list. "We'd like a Merlot."

The idea of officially being with Dorian hadn't been a major concern during the months they had been dating; other issues took priority, and she didn't want to do it either. It wasn't until a few hours earlier, when Bobby Singer came to her house with the soul extractor, that she had to seriously consider it. She decided to give stabilizing a chance. Her mother played a big part in that reflection, emphasizing what a good man Dorian was to her and how much Lilith genuinely liked him, which made her consider taking the relationship more seriously. They enjoyed each other's company, had things in common, and knew about the supernatural world, which was a plus if she wanted to have a partner. She would hate to involve someone in magic and witchcraft; it was easier this way. She would give it a try, and if she didn't like it, she would let him know and end it.

The waiter took their order, and they returned the menus. Now they were face to face. Dorian had a refined sense of fashion and was advised by a girl named Stacy Williams. Lilith had met her through a video call, and she mentioned that she drew inspiration from the idea of control and simplicity, which is why she didn't wear crazy things and bright colors. She leaned towards cool tones and straight lines. That night, Dorian was represented by the color gray in his waistcoat and suit pants, even his shoes. Lilith found it nice, not one of his looks that fascinated her the most, but it was fine.

"So... new year, a fresh start... What's your plan, Lilith?" Dorian asked.

"I'm not entirely sure, I didn't even think about it. I spent the whole year focusing on my mom and trying to make things like they were before, finding myself again. It sounds a bit silly. My mother wants me to stabilize and I know she would like me to go back to the normal path: studies, a career, goals, and, I don't know, maybe a family. I'm not really in that mood; every time I think about it, I keep postponing it until I'm over thirty-three. I used to want to study, become a politician, and make genuine changes, play within the system, gain power, make the fools obey me. It would be fun. But after everything that happened and finding out that I'm a witch... I lost the excitement to try, it demotivated me. The truth is, I found another motivation: witchcraft. It's much more interesting and useful," she took a long pause before continuing, "It's funny to think that most people my age are already well into their careers and living on their own. I still live with my mom and have two power pearls."