𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟏𝟐: 𝐄𝐑𝐈𝐒 𝐓𝐇𝐑𝐎𝐖𝐒 𝐍𝐈𝐂𝐎 𝐎𝐔𝐓 𝐀 𝐖𝐈𝐍𝐃𝐎𝐖

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟏𝟐:  𝐄𝐑𝐈𝐒 𝐓𝐇𝐑𝐎𝐖𝐒 𝐍𝐈𝐂𝐎 𝐎𝐔𝐓 𝐀 𝐖𝐈𝐍𝐃𝐎𝐖

"You took everything from me."

THE STAIRS LED TO A LARGE BRICK TUNNEL.

As soon as they switched the flashlights on, Rachel yelped and Eris quickly saw why.

There was a grinning skeleton in front of them. It was huge, for one thing—at least ten feet tall. It had been strung up, chained by its wrists and ankles so it made a kind of giant X over the tunnel. But what sent shivers down everyone's spine was the single black eye socket in the center of its skull.

A chilling feeling ran through her, "Tyson," Eris muttered worriedly.

"A Cyclops," Annabeth said. "It's very old. It's not...anybody we know."

It wasn't Tyson, she meant.

Eris rubbed her head. She couldn't stand to look at it anymore. "I'll get rid of it," she said. She snapped her fingers and one by one the skeleton quickly decayed into nothing but dust.

Rachel swallowed. "You have a friend who's a Cyclops?"

"Tyson," Percy said. "My half-brother."

"Your half-brother."

"Hopefully we'll find him down here," he said. "And Grover. He's a satyr."

"Oh." Her voice was small. "Well then, we'd better keep moving."

After a moment she kept walking and Eris followed after her.

After fifty feet they came to a crossroads. Ahead, the brick tunnel continued. To the right, the walls were made of ancient marble slabs. To the left, the tunnel was dirt and tree roots.

Percy pointed left. "That looks like the tunnel Tyson and Grover took."

Annabeth frowned. "Yeah, but the architecture to the right—those old stones—that's more likely to lead to an ancient part of the maze, toward Daedalus's workshop."

"We need to go straight," Rachel said.

"That's the least likely choice," Annabeth said.

"You don't see it?" Rachel asked. "Look at the floor."

Eris looked down but found nothing but bricks and mud.

"There's a brightness there," Rachel insisted. "Very faint. But forward is the correct way. To the left, farther down the tunnel, those tree roots are moving like feelers. I don't like that. To the right, there's a trap about twenty feet down. Holes in the walls, maybe for spikes. I don't think we should risk it."

None of them understood what she was saying but eventually, Percy said, "Okay. Forward."

"You believe her?" Annabeth asked.