I Can't Believe It Worked.

"Court! Why are you doing this?" Court rips himself from Rebecca's grip, wincing in anguish as he hears her fall to her knees, knowing that he can't pick her up. If he turns around and looks into those baby blue doe eyes, then everything will be up in arms and he'll have put her in even more danger.

He thought he would have had more time with her, that maybe the CIA would forget they need him.
He was their most ruthless and meritorious asset whose whole life was wiped from the face of the earth...A Gray Man.
He did not exist.
That was until he met her, she had given him a glimpse of a life he never thought he'd get the chance to have, and now he had to leave.
Rebecca scrambles along the floor, "please...we were...happy. What h-h-happened to yesterday?"She sobs defeatedly behind him.
"I love you, I thought you loved me too."
Court hesitates in the doorframe, "well you thought wrong." He slings his large duffle back over his shoulder leaving her a crumbling mess on the floor.

Pathetic, it was the most accurate description of Rebecca's reaction. But it wasn't the fairest.

Yesterday they had lain in the park under blistering Boston sun, Court had watched her study intently. Stealing kisses between the turning of pages.
They had even talked about adopting a puppy. Someone to keep Court company when Rebecca was at school.  It had been a perfect day.
A perfect day tarnished by this new morning.

***

"How'd you know her then?" Fox shuffles behind Court who can't tear his eyes from the screen, he watches as Rebecca stares into space tapping her finger rhythmically on the arm of the wooden chair she is bound to.
He sighs, "we used to be...we used to fuck."
"No shit! Y'know if you're tryna win her back, you're goin' the wrong way about it."
He spins around in the leather chair looking up at Fox through a cold glare, "She wouldn't take me back, and I wouldn't have her. She's got a thing for moustaches now." He shudders.

The door swings open, and Court rolls his eyes at the sound of heels clicking on the tiles.
"Hansen could be here any time and you're just sitting here with your thumb up your ass."

"Oh hi, Suzanne." Court gets up from his seat and meets her in the middle of the room, "I've got Hansen right where I want him."
She scoffs, "Funny, he said that about you once too." Court looks back at the screen. Rebecca shuffles uncomfortably her soft groans barely audible through the speakers, he gravitates closer trying to hear her.
"Feeling guilty, Six?" Suzanne runs her hands over his shoulders and down his chest, "she's tainted now." Her breathy voice tickles against his ear.
"Not now Suzanne." He shrugs her off. "Why don't you go see if she needs a bathroom break?"
He walks off leaving Suzanne in the room alone with Fox.
"Go check her." she fills out a glass of scotch, her eyes sheepishly avoiding the screens.
"Sure thing, Boss." Fox chirps.
"Fox!" Suzanne yells after her.
"Boss?"
"No funny business this time, Six might not rewind the footage but I do. We operate under the law on occasions, but rape's still rape. Got it?"
Fox's heart stops dead in her chest. She stands wide eyes staring at Suzanne, "got it." Her voice shudders.

"Hey, Barbie." Fox creeps around the door, "bathroom break?"
Rebecca shakes her head, "can you move my hands to the front?" she murmurs.
Her hands had been zip tied around her back, her shoulders now strained and pulsing with an agonising deep ache.
"Ooh, gotta check with the boss on that one." she presses her finger to her earpiece, "Princess wants to know if I can move her hands to the front?" her head bobs as she nods, "mhmm...got it."
"You are in luck! She must be feeling generous today." Fox circles around behind her pulling out a sharp pocket knife she slices into the plastic tie.
Rebecca holds onto a sharp breath, keeping her eyes focused on the ceiling. The sickly scent of Fox filled her nostrils like sewerage.
When the tie breaks Rebecca's arms flop to the sides her shoulder muscles screaming in pain. She brings her left hand up and rubs her right shoulder.
"That's enough!" Fox grabs her hands pinning them in front of her.
She kneels in front and attaches the new tie, Rebecca tries to force her thighs closed but it's near impossible with her ankles crossed and tied.
"Anything else?" Fox tries to make contact with Rebecca but her eyes won't falter.
"She?"
"What?"
"She?"
"Barbie, are you having a stroke?"
Rebecca stares up through her thick lashes, "you said, 'she'. I thought Court was your boss?"
Fox strikes the back of her hand against Rebecca's face, "shut the fuck up."
Rebecca presses her stinging cheek against her shoulder.  Surprised that not a single tear was able to fall from her eyes, maybe you only get allocated a certain amount in your lifetime and she had used them all up.
"If I were you I'd keep my mouth shut because you're starting to lose your looks, princess."

***

"Alright Mr and Mrs Hansen, I wanna try something a little different. Rebecca, if you could lean back. Yep! Perfect! Now, Mr Hansen could you support the small of her back with one hand and place your other on the back of her head." The wedding photographer instructs, "beautiful! Yes! Keep looking at her like that Mr Hansen." He clicks his camera repetitively.
"I fucking hate this." Lloyd groans through gritted teeth.
Rebecca bursts into a fit of laughter, "what did you expect? Selfies for wedding photos?"
Lloyd dips his head down, pressing his lips against Rebecca's throat. His moustache tickling her neck, she throws her head back giggling like a child. Her one hand pressed against his chest, and the other hanging by her side loosely holding onto her bouquet.
"OH YES!" the photographer screams excitedly, "that's the shot! That's the one right there." He claps sliding the camera onto his shoulder.

"That's a beautiful photograph Lloyd, who knew you could take instructions so well."
Rebecca watches as a vaguely familiar short-haired woman saunters towards them, "congratulations." She leans in giving Lloyd a formal hug and smiling kindly at Rebecca.
"Suzanne this is my wife, Rebecca." Suzanne smooths her navy skater-style dress.
"Of course!" Rebecca leans forward taking Suzanne's extended hand and pulling her into an embrace, "Suzanne Brewer."
Suzanne and Lloyd simultaneously furrow their brows glancing at one another.
Suzanne breaks the embrace, tucking a lock of curled hair behind her ear.
"It's so nice to meet you, Rebecca, maybe after your honeymoon we could grab a cocktail?"
Rebecca nods enthusiastically, "oh god yes! I'd love to hear stories about this one at Harvard." She slides her hand into Lloyds.
Suzanne nods, "I'll see you soon." She offers the happy couple a contained smile and heads off back into the reception.
"Don't look at me like that Lloyd, I memorised the guest list. I know exactly where everyone is sitting and what they ordered for dinner. I planned this whole thing, remember?" She leans up kissing his cheek.
"And it's perfect, just like you." He agrees turning his head around to capture her lips.

***
Rebecca looks around the room, if Lloyds jet had touched down then why wasn't he here?
What if something had happened to him?
No, because if something had then she would be dead.
So where is he?

Her chest begins to heave itself up and down, mouth filling with saliva as her whole body vibrates with rage, it's in this moment that she decides she is no longer going to sit back and let things happen to her.
Pausing her pathetic damsel in distress thoughts, looking down at her bound wrists. Remembering something she had seen on TV.
She takes the long black plastic end of the tie and grips it with her teeth pulling it as tightly as she can, the ragged edges cutting into her skin.
She holds out her arms bringing them back to her chest in a swift forceful motion, breaking apart her restraints.
She laughs inwardly, "I can't believe that worked." painting quietly out of breath.
Rebecca knows she doesn't have a lot of time. Fox and the huge blonde guy will probably burst through that door and leave her a convulsing bloody pulp on the ground.
Her ankles are still bound and for a split second, she changes her mind, afraid of what might happen if she leaves this room. But she has to try.
Reaching for the tie she attempts to repeat the same motion that she had with her wrists. Bringing her knees out, shakily trying to avoid clattering to the ground. Praying that this works.
And it did.  Her ankles were free. She was free.  From the binds at least.
Now what?
She hadn't thought this far ahead.
Reaching down for the sweatshirt that Court had left at her feet she slips it on thankful for the moment of warmth.
Beginning her escape she recalls the steps she had taken to the toilet. If she can make it to where she can lock herself in and break through the window.
That's the plan. That's the plan.
It'll work. It has to work.
Because she doesn't know what she'll do if it doesn't.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A/N:
Hi! If you can drop a vote and some feedback, even if it's just an emoji.
My stories aren't doing as well as they once were.
A vote and a comment helps boost them ✌️
Thank you ❤️