Dairy Cow

Not huge. Enormous. Gargantuan. Colossal.

Rebecca was eight months pregnant and feeling like a dairy cow. She couldn't even see her feet anymore, and her entire body was swollen and uncomfortable. She blamed Lloyd for it, and he knew it too.

"How did you sleep?" Lloyd asked, trying to make conversation.

Rebecca shot him a menacing look. "Don't even start with me, Lloyd Hansen," she snapped.

Lloyd was taken aback by her sudden change in mood. He had learned the hard way not to question her when she was in a bad mood. He had been away for work for three out of seven days, so he had managed to avoid her wrath.

"What do you want to do today?" he asked cautiously.

Rebecca poured herself a strong cup of coffee. "Uhhh..." Lloyd trailed off.

"Don't you dare," Rebecca warned. "I need this coffee. I can't sleep on my back because the baby is crushing my lungs. I can't sleep on my right side because it cuts off blood flow to the baby. I can't sleep on my left side because my belly feels like it's ripping at the seams. So, do you know what I do?"

Lloyd shook his head, knowing she was about to tell him.

"I don't sleep, Lloyd. I'm tired, sore, and cranky. So, if I want to have a cup of coffee, I'm going to have a cup of coffee. Okay?"

Lloyd pulled the newspaper back up to cover his face. "Sure, sweetheart. Whatever makes you happy," he muttered under his breath.

'Fuck me.' He mouthed into the newspaper.

Tony, who had been lounging on the back of the sofa, sprang to his feet and began barking excitedly at the window. Lloyd rose to his feet to see what had caught Tony's attention, but before he could get there, Hazel and McKenna walked through the door, carrying bags upon bags of...stuff.

"Of course, they have a key," Lloyd murmured, lifting Tony down from the sofa. "Good morning, ladies. Coffee's hot, if Becca hasn't finished the entire pot in protest." He smirked towards the kitchen.

Rebecca scoffed loudly and began her slow waddle into the living area. "I heard that, Lloyd, and I didn't appreciate it."

"Lloyd," the girls groaned in unison.

McKenna began fussing over Tony, while Hazel's hands were like magnets to Rebecca's stomach, rubbing her hands over the huge belly. "You are so low today!" she gushed. "And I think his little foot is over here today."

"Yeah, and it feels like he's playing a game of soccer in there as well. My ribs are in agony," Rebecca forced out a weary smile before taking a sip of her coffee.

McKenna, who was now lying flat on her back while Tony pounced on her chest, glanced up at Rebecca's coffee. "Is that decaf?" she asked.

Lloyd cleared his throat loudly, shaking his head frantically at McKenna.

"Oh," she mouthed, understanding exactly what he meant.

Changing the subject quickly, Hazel produced some powder blue outfits from one of the many bags she had brought in. "Do you want this stuff in the nursery?" she asked.

Rebecca led the way to the back bedroom, nodding as Hazel followed closely behind. The room was larger than the other, with white walls and goose down grey curtains. However, it was completely empty, not even so much as a box of nappies in sight.

Hazel was shocked at the lack of preparation, "Rebecca! You know that you could give birth at any moment, how can you be so unprepared? This is unlike you."