Cinderella

"Your first divorce, it gets easier." Arthur gives Lloyd a reassuring slap on the back.

Slowly, Lloyd turns his head glaring up at his father through bloodshot eyes. First and last, he thinks to himself. He would have called the old man out if he could guarantee his voice wouldn't crack.
Try as hard as he might he couldn't stop himself from watching Rebecca's dad speed across the tarmac, imagining as she sobbed in the back of the car.

He could have swore he could still hear her shouting his name.

It was for the best. He had a promise to keep. It's for the best.

Arthur hands Lloyd the leather holdall he left at the side of the car, "Here, son."
It was a shame really, Arthur had grown to be quite fond of Rebecca. If he were a betting man he would have wagered the marriage to last. The reason he wasn't one was because he hated losing money. Which is ironic because he was about embark on his third divorce, and this one was going to be a howler. But it was fun, the thrill of love. The chase. But looking at Lloyd's current state, he wasn't quite sure if what he'd ever felt was love. That's not entirely true of course.

Lloyd reaches into the bag pulling out his cell. He stared at the name on the display, the name that ruined everything. Denny. It wasn't Carmichael that had ruined it, but Lloyd needed someone to blame other than himself. Because if he admitted that it was his own corrosive touch, then there was no way he'd survive.

"Hansen?" Denny answers.

Lloyd clears his throat as he stares into the back of cream leather headrest, "What you got for me."

Arthur shakes his head ever so slightly, he knows what his son does, but it doesn't mean he agrees with it.

"Nothing, you need time. I can't risk you fucking up again." Denny's answer riles Lloyd.

It was Denny who had hired and trusted Suzanne. It was Denny who's head was so far up his own ass that any signs of Suzanne's double crossing went un noticed. Lloyd always knew she was a cunt. But Denny couldn't see it. Too arrogant to admit that he had made a mistake in giving her an inch, letting her off the leash so to speak.

"You fucking owe me, Carmichael."

"Take a day, Lloyd. You just got back, you just served Rebe- your wife divorce papers. Take the day."

"If you don't give me a job, Denny, I'll offer Hansen Government Services out to tender."

There was a long pause while Denny debated with himself wether Hansen was worth the risk, unfortunately he was.

"Fine. Details in-coming. Get back on your jet."

***

Lloyd put in his air pods, reclined the chair on the jet and called Denny.
The job was easy, too easy.  The blood on Lloyds shirt still wet.

"It's done. And next time, don't assume I need to be eased back into the job.  Make it worth my while." He ends the call before Denny gets the chance to reply.

Feeling a little like his old self again he snaps his fingers, Alan hands him a large measure of his favourite scotch.

"Wheels down in thirty, Boss."
Lloyd acknowledges with a nod.

He can finish this bottle in thirty minutes, and if not he'll take it with him.

Lloyd managed to finish the bottle, and was still able to walk off the jet. That was until the fresh air hit him.

Thalia reached for Lloyd, grabbing his shirt before he tumbled down the steps. She snapped her head round to Alan, "I guess we aren't finished." She cocks her gaze to Lloyds car sitting at the the side of the airplane storage facility.