The First 'I Love You'

"You still haven't told me where we are going?" Rebecca pulls down the visor checking her makeup in the mirror. Mortified at the oil build up around her T-zone and reaches for her little compact of essentials she keeps in her handbag.
"Its a surprise." Lloyd smirks, barely able to keep his eyes on the road.  Every little thing she does is so...effortless.

To the eye, Rebecca is immaculate and radiantly beautiful.  But it isn't all that she is, there is an air about her. She is extraordinary.
Lloyd would swear that she is magical, if he believed in that sort of thing.

"I might not be dressed appropriately." She worries, pulling at the blue fabric of her dress, noticing a little green paint stain.
Lloyd reaches over for her hand as she begins picking at the stain with her nail.
"You are perfect, I promise."
"Okay." She laces her fingers with his, "okay."

Lloyd pulls his car up in front of a mansion, reaching out of his window he punches a code into the security panel at the gate.

"Lloyd, is this your house?" Rebecca's heart thuds rapidly in her chest as the iron gates open.
"It's my fathers house."

"Lloyd Hansen, I am not dressed appropriately to meet the parents. Jesus, my hair!" She takes her hair out of the loose french braids she had done quickly at lunchtime before arts and crafts running her fingers through the tousled mane.

Lloyd pulls up the private road lined with perfectly trimmed shrubbery and large oak trees.
Rebecca knew that Lloyd was well off, but she had no idea he was rich.

She is suddenly awash with feelings of inferiority, she had taken Lloyd to her working class parents tiny two bedroom house and he had been so gracious and well mannered, no mention of how unbelievably lesser it would seem to him. As Rebecca looked around at this damnably huge manner she wondered, would she fit in?

"Lloyd! Whats it been, a month maybe two?" Lloyds father skips down the steps. He watches as his son holds out his hand helping a curvaceous blonde out of the passenger side.
'Thats why.' He thought to himself.
Already writing Rebecca off as a bimbo, only interested in his sons wealth.
"Dad, this is Rebecca Gunn. Rebecca this is my father, Arthur Hansen."
Rebecca steps forward earnestly extending her hand, "Its a pleasure to meet you, Mr Hansen."  She tries her best to stop trembling with nerves.

Lloyd lets out a heavy sigh as he leads Rebecca into the grand lounge. Its not quite as clinically decorated as Lloyds apartment, there are notes of colour splashed throughout, large sculptures and abstract art are strategically placed all around the room.

Arthur waves, gesturing to the sofa. Rebecca sits down on the edge, careful not to damage the rich fabric, its clear to her that its expensive, like everything else in this room, in this house. Except her. She doesn't belong here.
"Tea, Rebecca?" Arthur asks.
Lloyd leans back on the sofa his arms stretched out across the back, his legs open wide.
"Take some tea, sweetheart." He encourages, smirking at his straight-faced father.
Rebecca's smile slips as her insecurities were slowly floating to the surface, "yes, thank you."
Normally she would have declined, not wanting to put anyone to any trouble, but her throat was dry and scratchy.

Arthur rolls his eyes as he hands her the most dainty china teacup, Rebecca thanks him once again sipping it ever so delicately. Lloyd watches enraged as his fathers judgemental eyes roam over her.
The silence in the room is deafening, the atmosphere thick and dense like a city smog.  Rebecca gently brings the cup to her lips taking a small sip then placing the cup back on her lap cradling it from any harm. One of her nails taps the edge the small ding echoes in the quietness. Her eyes absentmindedly widen as she looks for any damage left by her. Scraping off the little stain of lipstick around the rim.