Avocado

Lloyd's arms remained locked around Rebecca's frame for longer than he could count, and he never wanted to let go. Holding her was as comforting as being enveloped in a warm blanket. He could have stayed like this forever, until he heard the rumble of Rebecca's stomach.

"Hungry, sweetheart?" he asked, looking down at her with a gentle smile.

Rebecca looked up at him with doe eyes, her cheeks still wet with tears. "I'm sorry for being so emotional. I don't know what's wrong with me," she sniffled.

Lloyd chuckled airily, brushing away her tears with his thumb. "There's nothing wrong with you, Becca. It's all my fault," he said, his voice full of regret.

Rebecca was secure enough not to protest his argument. He had done so many hurtful things to her, and there was no point in lying to him by denying it.

"Would you like to go out for dinner?" Lloyd asked, bracing himself for her to decline the invitation. He promised to give her space and take things slow, but he couldn't help wanting to spoil her and, deep down, perhaps he was hoping to be reminded of how things used to be.

Rebecca burst into tears again, and Lloyd looked around the room in panic. He had to deal with this himself, and he silently cursed Hazel for leaving him alone with her. Trying to remain calm, he said, "We don't have to, in fact, I can order you a cheap pizza and leave."

This only seemed to agitate Rebecca more and her loud wails turned into almost silent squeals.

"I'm sorry, beautiful, but it's tough love time. What can I do? I'm fucking  freaking out here." He said gripping her shoulders firmly.

"You just keep doing and saying all the right things." Rebecca sobbed out.

Lloyd was taken a back, "What?"

"You're doing everything right Lloyd. If you're willing to take it slow, then I'm willing to give you a chance."

Lloyd looked around the room, half expecting the fabric of this reality to burst at the seams, "Rebecca-"

"I know what you're going to say, we can't go slow, but I just mean- fuck - I don't know what I mean. I don't want to sound like a broken record, and I feel like all I do is remind you, but you hurt me, so fucking much -"

Lloyd nodded, he'll take all the reminding, if he had to be reminded every second of every minute of every day he would, if it meant being back with her.

"Rebecca," he said, "We have a lot to talk about, and I'm ready to be completely open with you. We can't go slow, not really, but what I can do is promise that we won't go back to the way it was before."

The corners of Rebecca's mouth turned up into a faint smile, her eyes widening, "There were parts of before that I loved." She said with a tear.

"Then how about you set the pace," Lloyd dropped to his knees taking her hands in his, eye's pleading up at her, "I'll do anything for you, both of you."

"Get up Lloyd, you don't belong on the floor." But Lloyd stayed there. Rebecca fell to her knees meeting his eyes, "I love you." She said.

"I love you." He replied, pulling her onto his lap cradling her in his arms.

***

Lloyd lay on top of Rebecca's bed, dozing lightly with Tony curled up in the crook of his arm. A faint smile creeping across his lips, he could feel the puppy dream twitching against him.

A few moments later, Rebecca emerged from the bathroom. Seeing Lloyd on the bed with Tony tucked under his arm, it began to sew her heart together. Her whole world, everything that mattered to her was under this roof. She just had to keep it. But she would be a fool to ignore the gnawing ache in her gut. And a fool she was, stifling a chuckle as she snuggled into the bed, Lloyd's arm draped over her damp frame.