Baby Hansen

Lloyd Hansen had the ears of a hawk and the memory of an elephant when it came to identifying the screech of a pterodactyl. He could pick it out of a crowd of a million people, blindfolded, with his hands tied behind his back. So, when Olivia held open the door and he heard that familiar screech, he knew exactly who was making it.

He found Rebecca heaving into a cardboard bowl, looking like she was about to launch into orbit. Olivia gave him a cautious smile, probably wondering if he was going to be the next victim of Rebecca's projectile vomit.

"Where did you go?" Rebecca managed to choke out between heaves.

"Just to update my dad and...you know what, it doesn't matter," Lloyd replied, not wanting to get into the details of his whereabouts.

Rebecca drooped her head, feeling like a failure. "To tell them that things aren't moving?" she cried. "God, why am I such a screw-up? I can't do anything right."

Lloyd couldn't help but feel a twinge of sadness. He knew that Rebecca's self-esteem had been chipped away by The Gunns' parenting, and no matter how hard he tried to put the pieces back together, they were bound to slip off eventually. It was a shame that it had happened when Rebecca needed them the most.

"I wish we had time to go over how wrong you are Rebecca, I would argue with you to the death about how much you do everything annoyingly right.  Even the things you do wrong, end up being the right thing." He brushed away the sweaty little coils of hair that had begun to frame Rebecca's face and smiled, "I'd be happy to argue with you tomorrow though."

Rebecca nodded weakly, her face contorted in pain. "Okay," she managed to whisper before the agony took over once again.

Lloyd turned to Nurse Olivia, his frustration evident. "I thought she had pain relief?" he snapped.

Nurse Olivia pursed her lips sympathetically. "She did, but sometimes the body can override it if there's truly something to be felt," she explained, a glint in her eye.

Lloyd's panic was palpable. "What is she feeling? What's happening to my wife?" he demanded.

The nurse gave a knowing wiggle of her brows. "She's having a baby," she said on a little chuckle.

Rebecca was drenched in sweat, her hand shaking as she reached for the cup of ice chips on the tray beside her bed. "They're getting worse," she managed to say between gasps.

Just then, there was a light knock on the door. Doctor Lee emerged with a clipboard and a sheepish look. "Rebecca, it's been an hour...these are forms for you to sign so we can take you down to theatre," he said.

Nurse Olivia dipped her head. "Maybe we could examine Rebecca one last time, just in case things have progressed, doctor?" she suggested with a witty tone of voice.

With a nod, Doctor Lee turned to Rebecca. "Shall we take a look?" he asked, his tone gentle. As the examination began, Rebecca closed her eyes and braced herself.

There was  few moments of tense silence in the room while the doctor did his work.

"Well...well... Rebecca." He said, a note of surprise dancing around his words, "things have certainly progressed...you're eight centimeteres." His gloves snapping off enthusiastically as he slid away from the foot of the bed to the sink to wash his hands.

Rebecca let out a cry of relief, covering her face with her hands, "Thank fuck for that!" Rebecca she laughed, turning to Lloyd her cheeks full and flushed as she bit back a sob.

The urge to get up and walk around the room was overwhelming, lying down just felt wrong somehow.  It was a strange feeling, as though it was the only thing she could think about.  Just to get up and walk.  Or at the very least stand.  Lloyd held out his arm taking her weight as Rebecca swung her legs out of the bed.