Are You Quite Finished?

Lloyd had never felt so helpless, watching Rebecca writhe around the floor of the hospital room while teams of doctors and nurses rush in to help her.
His idle hands couldn't fix this.

He knew when she stepped out of the shower that something wasn't right.
She wasn't fine, she was far from fine.

Praying to what ever god would listen to let his Rebecca live.

***

Lloyd had been gone for two days now, Rebecca didn't know what to do with herself. She had been so consumed by him. She sat at the little breakfast table, staring out of the vast window, looking out across the Boston skyline wondering what the view was like where he was.
Sipping her coffee while Lloyds maid pottered around the apartment, there wasn't much for her to do, Rebecca had spent the morning cleaning.  Just trying to keep busy.

"Goodbye, Miss Rebecca."  The maid called as she headed out of the door.

Rebecca flicked her head round, "goodbye Inez, see you next week." Smiling softly.
She hated that Lloyd had a maid, especially now that they lived together.  They could share the chores, just like her mother and father had.

A knock at the door roused her from her sad little daydream, she wasn't expecting anyone so she assumed Inez had forgotten something.
"Dad, what are you doing here?" She beamed showing him into the apartment.

Royce tipped his head acknowledging Rebecca, eyes wide he looked around his daughters sleek, luxurious home.

"Your mother said Lloyd had gone away for work, and I hadn't seen my baby girls apartment so I thought I'd come keep you company and have a look around." He pecked Rebecca on the cheek, Rebecca showed him around. Proud of the life and home she was making with Lloyd, "It's a beautiful apartment, Bex.  But how are you working the finances?"

Rebecca sniggered inwardly, it was such a dad question to ask, "Theres no mortgage, so we split the utilities down the middle." She notices the crease in her fathers brow, "daddy, he's forty one."

"Eugh! Thank you for reminding me, don't you think he's a little old, for you I mean?"

"It's only ten years, dad." Rebecca gets up from her seat taking the mugs to the sink to clean.
She inhales slowly calming herself. Why do they always have to pick a fault or make a comment?

"How was the wedding?"  He dads uninterested voice comes from behind her as he takes a seat on the kitchen stool.

"It was a beautiful day, we had a lot of fun." She tried her best not to come off as dry, but it was futile. The mood had already been set.

She would much rather sit alone pining over Lloyd than spend a minute more with her father and his negativity. Why was it so hard for him to be proud of her, and all of the things she accomplished?

"Becca?" Royce grabbed hold of her shoulders turning her to face him, "do you love him?"

Without hesitation she replied, "of course I love him."

Royce sighed defeated, "what if he hurts you?"

"Well then thats a risk I'm willing to take, because being loved and hurt by him is better than nothing." Tears pool in her eyes, all she had ever wanted was family life.  For someone to love her for simply being her, her parents never could. Well that's not entirely true, they just couldn't show it.  They pushed for perfection, and when she thought that's what she was doing or being they picked at her. Absentmindedly bringing her down.  Wearing her to the quick. Lloyd loved her, in the purest way.  She could see it in his eyes and hidden in the corner of his mouth.
And she loved him, more.