Ready?

Breathe.

Rebecca could only focus on one thing: breathing. No matter how hard she tried, she couldn't make out a single word of what Claire was saying. Her mouth was moving, but all Rebecca could hear was a muffled drone. If it hadn't been for the sudden gust of wind that blew through the open door, Rebecca would have remained in her nauseating trance.

"Why are you here?" Rebecca asked, her hands clasped tightly in front of her to avoid any contact with her stomach. Claire stepped inside the threshold, her voice soft yet firm.
"I think it's best if we talk inside," she said confidently, moving past Rebecca and taking a seat on the pale grey cushioned ottoman that sat in the centre of the living area.

Rebecca closed the door, stifling back a frightened sob. She stammered, trying to think of something to say, but the words wouldn't come.

"Sit down, Rebecca," Claire asserted, her mouth turned up in an intimidating smirk.

Rebecca shook her head. "I'd rather stand, if that's okay," she said, her voice trembling. She wanted to be close to the door, which she had not latched properly when she closed it, and also, she couldn't move. She was rooted to the ground in fear.

"I'm not going to drag this out for you, Rebecca," Claire said, her voice unwavering. "My uncle was murdered, but you knew that already. The reason I'm repeating this to you is that you were an item, as far as I was led to believe from his emails. You were in love."

Rebecca forced herself to nod, her voice barely a whisper. "We were, but he left me." She glanced to the back of the house as Tony barked in the backyard, and asked, "Can I let my dog in?" Claire slowly extended her hand, granting Rebecca permission to open the backdoor.

Rebecca unlocked it, Tony scampered inside running up to the girl as she sat crossed- legged on the ottoman. Claire was a true professional, she maintained her composure, never taking her eyes off Rebecca as she ignored Tony.

She smirked and continued, "You were in love with him, and then not five years later you are married to Lloyd Hansen, known sociopath.  Are you aware that your husband kidnapped me, tortured my Uncle Donald, and tore Six's partner limb from limb?"

Remaining silent, Rebecca let her lungs take in a breath of air. She was terrified, not knowing how to react or what to say.

"I'm speaking to you Rebecca."
Rebecca opened her mouth, "Ex." She said in a barely audible whisper.
"Speak up." Claire snapped.
Swallowing the hard lump that had formed in her throat, Rebecca took a small, anxious step forward. "You said my husband, Lloyd, and I are no longer married," she said, her voice trembling.

Tilting her head, Claire got to her feet; she was taller than Rebecca, not by much, but enough to give her an intimidating edge. "Funny, he just left..."
"He was here to finalise somethings about the divorce." Rebecca lied, as tears tumbled down her cheeks.

"I'm not here to hurt you, Rebecca," Claire said, tucking her hands into her jeans pockets. "Actually..." Her voice softened a little. "It wasn't my intention to even bring up that psychopath, but when I saw him leave, it got me kind of angry. You understand, don't you?"

Rebecca shuddered, attempting to gain control of her fear. She felt a chill run down her spine as she tried to come to terms with the situation.

"Court had an apartment here, one he owned that you two shared. Am I right?" Claire asked.
"In Boston, yes." Rebecca admitted.
"I want you to take me there, I would like to get some of his things. You see we never had a body returned to us, and I'd like something to bury. For closure."
"I don't want to go there, I can give you the address and the code for the key safe."
Claire scoffed, "This isn't a negotiation, I didn't ask. You will take me."