Chapter Fifty Nine

Ron was a tiny bit disappointed when he Rose's hair grew to be red, and her eyes his icy blue, because deep down, he had really wanted a miniature Hermione. But her hair was just as, if not more, curly, bulging and springing.

Albus had his father's messy black hair, reaching his eyebrows even when he was two years old. However, I like James, his eyes were the bright piercing emerald that Harry's resembled. Ginny would often joke about her son's appearances.

"I carried these kids in my stomach for nine months and they come out looking like you!"

Albus was a lot quieter, even as a baby, than his brother. He was never rough like James, and he never threw food at the walls poked out eyes. He was quiet and peaceful and always slept through the night.

Harry didn't give him a middle name until three weeks after they had left the hospital. Ginny still wouldn't let him name his own son after his best friend, even if it was only his middle name. It was when he was deep in thought at a rarely uneventful work day. He was thinking of his son's black hair, his name after the most amazing headmaster Hogwarts had seen. And he decided to give his son the middle name of someone who taught him so much, even though they never had the relationship that he and Dumbledore did.

As Rose Weasley and Albus Potter grew up, they were the cutest double act anyone in the family could've ever seen. As cousins, they were best friends, each other's partner in crime, always getting into dirt, bright eyes wide and innocent. Albus never talked, but that was okay because Rose talked enough for him. At family events, no matter the occasion, you never saw one without the other, and neither ever wanted to go home without the other.

Not that Ginny and Hermione hadn't tried for a sleepover, once they were about three. Hermione would get an old mattress out, and lay it out next to Rose's bed, but in the middle of the night, Albus would complain of a stomach ache, or a nightmare, or missing his mother, and Harry would have to come in the middle of the night to pick him up.

"I don't know why we keep doing this," Hermione would always tell her daughter, wiping her nose with a tissue. "Albus cries at night, and then he leaves and in the morning you cry."

It was after a bright June afternoon, when the whole family had gathered to celebrate Teddy's eleventh birthday, that a happy celebration turned into a disaster, all in a window of sixteen hours.

Harry was particularly excited for Teddy, because he knew that this meant that soon Teddy would feel the same exhilarating experience that he did- getting his letter. Whether it would be today, in the next couple of days, or weeks, but he would get it. He showed signs of magic from ever since he was five, and there was no doubt in Harry's mind that Teddy would be going to Hogwarts.

Teddy was now a rough and tough boy, whose favorite pastime besides Quidditch was, much to Ginny's annoyance, changing his hair when their little family went out somewhere, getting intentionally lost, and coming back from the matter laughing his head off.

No matter how immature he was however, you couldn't squash that the boy had a soft spot, especially when it came to three things: His dead parents, Victorie, and, quite laughably considering his age, his stuffed dragon.

Victorie would often tease him about the fact that he had the little raggedy thing sitting on a shelf above his bed. It was worn, the snout was torn and an eye was missing, but Teddy just couldn't bear to throw it out.

Teddy had mixed feelings about going to Hogwarts. Of course he would go, and of course part of him was excited, but another part was nervous. He had never been away from home very long, maybe a night or two at his friend Gabriel from his Little Quidditch League team. He didn't know if he could leave Harry and Ginny for an entire year, the closest thing he had to parents.

Victorie of course, was envious of Teddy. She was anxious to start going to Hogwarts, especially since she'd be away from Teddy. She told him that she "didn't know if she could handle a year with only Dominique to talk to." Victorie hadn't taken much taste in playing with James, Fred, and Louis or Rose and Albus. They were all too little, and though she didn't like her sister and Molly that much, Dominique at all for that matter, they were her only option.

The birthday went as happily as could go for a celebration. Everyone complimented Ginny on her dinner and cake, and she sniggered because she ordered the food from the Leaky Cauldron two hours earlier. Dominique and Molly played and then Domonique and Victorie fought, Albus and Rose ran off and played in the dirt, and James, Fred and Louis got James's head stuck in the hedge in the backyard.

By the time it was dark, Hermione called her two children (well, one, but she counted her husband, laughing and downing another fire whiskey that his best friend handed him, as a child) Ron didn't hear, and Rose sprinted to her mother, curly red hair flying.

"MommypleasecanAlbussleepover!" Rose always talked way too fast, and Hermione had to blink a few times before she could answer.

"What did Ginny say?"

"She said it's okay! Mummy please! I've been good!"

Hermione talked to Ginny, and they both decided that it was time that they had another try at a sleepover. So, Albus went with the Weasley's, in their own new Ford Anglia, which Hermione hated and Ron loved. She was glad that they got a car however, because Rose hated flying, and floo powder made her eyes puffy.

Albus and Rose were overjoyed. Rose kept telling herself on the ride home, this will be the time he stays. She told herself that every time, but she could feel she was right.

How very wrong she was.

It was late when they got back, and Hermione sent the kids straight to bed. After much giggling and shrieking, their tiny golden little voices quieted away.

Ron stretched out next to Hermione , stroking her hair.

"Mmh," she sighed a little. She was tired, and having someone play with her hair was oddly relaxing.

"You think he'll stay this time?" Ron asked quietly, setting his wand on the bedside table and blowing out the light.

"I hope so. Rose will be very disappointed if he doesn't."

Hermione snuggled into Ron's chest, and he kissed her on the forehead. She closed her eyes lightly. He kissed her nose, then her cheek. He just planted a soft kiss on her lips when they heard Rose's bloodcurdling shriek from the next room.

Hermione leaped up, snatched her wand, bolted into her daughter's room, and shouted "Lumos!"

She almost fainted.

On the floor, was little scrawny Albus, doubled over and surrounded in a pool of blood. It dripped down his chin and stained his hands. Rose was bawling and shaking.

"Mummy! He started coughing and I asked him if he wanted water, and then he coughed blood! Mummy he coughed blood!"

"Bloody hell," Ron whispered, frightened.
*****

Sorry for that hiatus! It was not okay I have to stop doing that! I've just been soooo unbelieveable busy! I love you all! Make sure you vote!!!! ❤️❤️❤️