Chapter Thirty Seven

* Neville's P.O.V *

I breathed heavily, the sound of it echoing inside my head. Wiping sweat off my forehead, I fingered a lock of Luna's hair.

"How much longer?" I asked, clutching a stitch in my side. The days hike seemed to have no effect on her whatsoever. She was still skipping along, as though fully rested, humming a waltz.

"Not much. I expect we'll see them soon!"

Yes. I was going hunting for the Crumple-Horned Snorkak.

At least I would get to spend time with Luna, her positive attitude and glowing smile. She had been humming all day, and her little tune was stuck in my head. I began to hum along with her.

She grasped my hand and began to swing it in time to the music, smiling up at me and swaying her head.

I laughed and sat her down on a large boulder. She unwrapped the strawberries and set them out a good twenty feet away from us. I rested her head against my shoulder, and we sat, on the soft springy grass, not speaking. It was peaceful, though pointless, with the birds chirping and the breeze to blow away the hot sun.

Suddenly, I heard a rustle in the nearby bushes. Luna immediately struck up her waltz, humming breathily.

"Luna..." I whispered cautiously, pulling out my wand. She gave me a frantic look, shaking her head. I'm regretfully stowed it away, peering through the woods. I didn't want her to get hurt, by whatever it was.

A small foot, that of an elephant, though a faded lilac color, emerged from the growth.

I gasped.

The animal was beautiful, more beautiful than Luna had ever explained. With little tiny ears, on either side of a huge, spiraling, intricate horn. It's eyes were large and blue, it's teeth tiny and round. It looked like a hippo crossed with an elephant crossed with a unicorn.

"Oh wow," I breathed quietly, taking in the sight. "They're actually real."

"Well of course they are!" Said Luna in slightly hurt tones. "That's what I've been telling you all!"

I cupped her face gently and before I knew it her soft lips were on mine, soft and light. The Crumple-Horned Snorkak was now snorting a surprisingly whistle-like sound.

The kiss deepened, and I felt a little tingle of excitement. I pulled her closer, my hands in her waist, hers around my neck, our legs brushing eachothers.

Finally, she pulled away and whispered, a tear rolling down her cheek.

"Oh Neville. This is so perfect. I wish Daddy were here to see it."

I hugged her tighter and rubbed my forefinger against the smooth surface of her cheek. I didn't need to say anything. That was all she needed.

She collapsed into tears. It was the first time I had ever seen my beautiful Luna cry. But somehow she still looked lovely, the tears glistening in the sun like diamonds.

"I love you," she sobbed, voice muffled by my shirt. I kissed the top of her head.

"I love you too,"

***

*third person P.O.V*

Ron sat on the couch, sifting through clothes and rummaging through his suitcase.

Hermione was in the kitchen, small, salty tears escaping her eyes every now and then. She would miss him so much when he was gone.

But she was so proud of him, how far he had come for this job. She could barely believe that he had gotten accepted! Though she would never tell him. It was a mixed feeling.

She lazed her way over to him, sighing. He looked up. She swung her head over the top of the couch and kissed him gently. He smiled.

"I'm going to miss you so much," Hermione murmured through their lips.

"Oh, 'Mione, don't cry," he said, as her tears began to fall. They dotted his forehead. Smiling, Hermione broke away and plopped down next to him.

"Just- promise you won't forget about me?" She asked, eyes brimming with tears. Ron laughed. She shot him a dirty look.

"What?" He countered, holding his hands up in a surrendering gesture, "How could I forget about you?"

She looked away.

"I don't know. I'm just...worried okay?" Hermione made to leave. Ron grabbed the hem of her sleeve and pulled her into his lap, the suitcase sliding onto the carpet. She snuggled against his chest, eyes closed.

He lay down on the sofa, her sprawled across him, as he played with her hair, staring at the ceiling.

Ron felt like life was moving much too fast for his liking. It felt like only yesterday he was meeting the snotty girl in the compartment, then he was kissing her, then he was moving in with her. And now, he was already starting his job. He sighed. What he wouldn't give to slow down time, at least just a bit, so he could spend some more time with Hermione.

He could tell she was falling asleep. Her eyelids fluttered, her breathing slowed. He intertwined their fingers, kissing her cheek, kissing her head, kissing her hand, and finally her lips. She lifted her head up sleepily, tongue roaming across his lips.

He ran his hands through her busy hair, fingers getting caught in the tangles. Hermione smiled and lifted a hand to his, and their fingers twiddled around, as their mouths did the same, kissing heatedly and passionately.

Finally, the kiss slowed, and Hermione lay her head on Ron's chest once more, their hands still interlocked and their lips still touching.

They fell asleep, slowly but surely, neither of them wanting the sun to rise.

***

Hey I'm sosoo sorry for not updating agh you all must hate me!

Lol soooooooooooö pls tell me what you thought of this (short) chapter, and if you have any ideas at all for upcoming chapters! I have so many but they're all for like later so I'm stuck rn ☺️