Chapter Four: Gorgeous

* Harry P.O.V *

The first two weeks had passed in a haze of homework, studying, and laughter. Despite the essays and difficult classes, I was so glad to be back, and even though I was so much older than the people in my year, I felt right at home with everyone.

The only problem was Vanessa. She was, strictly speaking, to put it plainly, annoying. She tagged along with us wherever we went, and whenever she showed up, she turned happy, smiling Hermione into a silent and hot tempered sabertooth tiger.

And not only was she annoying, and not only did she put Hermione in a bad mood, but she was also very talkative towards Ron. I couldn't help but notice that she frequently flirted with him, and everyone knew it except for Ron. He had always had a hard time with noticing that, especially when him and Hermione weren't together yet. I've been trying to tell him to watch out, but I've never had the chance. I did get to talk to Hermione.

"Hey, Hermione," I told her quietly yesterday in the common room. "I know that you don't like Vanessa-"

"Harry I'm busy right now!" She cried, turning a page of her book. "I don't want to talk about her!"

"Hermione, I know she likes Ron but, Ron will never like her back! He has you! Please don't be mad!"

She sniffed. "I feel like he flirts back." She said it so quietly I had to lean in to hear her.

"He doesn't." I said, maybe a little too quickly. "He's just trying to be nice, she is new you know,"

She sighed, closing her book. "I know. I suppose I should be nicer but.....I'm just so jealous."

"Jealous?!" I laughed. "Hermione, if anyone should be jealous, it's her! You're the one Ron loves!"

We turned to see Vanessa climbing through the portrait hole. She ran up to us.

"Hey Harry...hey Hermione," she said Hermione's name tentatively. Much to my surprise, Hermione smiled brightly at her and said a happy hello. Maybe I was getting through to her.

"Where's Ron?" She asked, her blue eyes sweeping the common room.

"Um..." Hermione squeaked as the smile slid off her face like sinkstap. "I really don't know..."

"Oh," Vanessa turned back to her, looking her straight in the eye. "So...rare...to see you apart."

***

Ginny emerged from her dormitory stairs, dressed in a tight, short-sleeve red shirt with a pocket, on it the Gryffindor lion. The neck went down very far. I grinned at her, and she winked.

Ron scowled at her.

"Put on a different shirt Ginny." He commanded.

"No." She said fiercely. "This shirt is very comfortable, and, besides," she continued offhandedly, "Harry likes this shirt on me. " She grinned slyly.

"Definately." I said, without even thinking. Ron whapped me over the head with his money bag.

I swore under my breath, rubbing the spot.

"Where even is Hermione?!" Asked Ron impatiently, tapping his foot.

"Ron, she's getting ready," Ginny snapped, rolling her eyes. "Honestly, if anyone could be any more impatient-"

"Sorry I took so long!" Called a breathless Hermione, running down the stairs. She was dressed in a white sweater and baby blue jeans. She was also either very warm, or wearing makeup.

I saw Ron's mouth pop wide open.

"Hermione, you look...gorgeous." He marveled.

"Always the tone of surprise." She smiled.

"Is that sweater new?"

"No," she answered quizzically "I've had it since fifth year."

"Oh, right," Ron said, ears turning pink. As we all turned to leave, Hermione whispered in my ear

"It really is new, I just thought I'd have a little fun."

Harry laughed, took Ginny's hand, and climbed out of the portrait hole.

***