Chapter Forty Four

Percy watched Audrey's lips, so different from her loud and carrying voice. They were delicate and small. Her hair caught the sunlight through a patch of blue sky above the leaves. She turned to him expectantly. He shook his head.

"What?"

"I said have you had any other girlfriends?" Her tone wasn't accusatory, or jealous. Just curious, like she cared about hearing the details of his life, just how it had been the whole date, if you could call a walk through the woods a date. Questions about him, his family, what he liked to do. It was as if she had sent him an owl, scheduling a date, simply to talk about him. Percy couldn't remember the last time someone had done that. The colorful leaves, strewn across the path, crunched beneath their feet, drowning out her voice a little.

Percy tried to ignore the 'other' part of it. Like she included herself in the girl friends category. He got child-like tingles.

"Well, yes. But I don't even feel like I knew her. We never talked, like you and I are now." He scratched his head. Audrey looked at him, her head tilted.

"Tell me about her."

He looked at her curiously, but did what she asked.

"Her name was Penelope. She was smart. Um. We studied a lot, and then afterwards...we kinda, well, just basically snogged." He scratched his neck again, not wanting to talk about it.

"What happened?" Audrey asked, head still tilted.

Percy shook his head.
"I don't even know. We used to correspond every summer, but, after school ended...we just...stopped."

"Why?" Audrey half laughed. Percy looked at her funny, half amazed at her, half confused, and slightly annoyed. He however, answered.

"I don't know. It was her turn to send me an owl...and I didn't because I didn't want to seem too clingy I guess. Long story short, I ran into her at work, arm in arm with her new boyfriend."

Audrey stared at him. Percy stared back. Finally, she burst into giggles. Percy smiled a tiny bit.

"What's so funny?!"

"Because you didn't want to seem too clingy?! Oh my God."

"Well," Percy countered defensively. "I didn't."

After she had stopped laughing, Audrey looked at him seriously, blue eyes wide and beautiful.

"Just some advice, girls like clingy. Well, at least I do. We like double owls, we like it when you keep asking us if we're okay."

"Why?" He asked, absentmindedly tucking a stray auburn lock of hair behind her ear.

"Well...we like knowing someone cares. We like knowing that they try to make us happy. Wouldn't you?"

He looked away.

"I wouldn't know. Nobody has really tried."

She stared at him, a sad smile on her face.

"Oh, stop being so grumpy," she finally said, shoving his shoulder. He let out a small laugh.

"That's it!" Audrey yelled. "There it is! Lighten up!" She shoved him again. He looked at her, exasperated. She rammed into him, laughing.

"I'm not giving up until you-"

He grabbed her by the waist and slung her over his shoulder. She shrieked with laughter as he spun her around, as she pounded his back with her fists. They were acting like little kids, and, surprisingly, Percy loved it.

Slowly, he looked at her, her hair tickling his cheek, as she relaxed, still perched on his shoulder. She grinned at him. Without thinking, Percy softly pressed his lips to hers. She closed her eyes, and he set her down as she wrapped her arms around his neck.

After what seemed like hours, they broke apart, both of their eyes still closed. Then, without speaking, Percy slipped his hand into hers, and they made their way back up the trail.
***

Sorry short filler

Pls tell me if you like the Percy/Audrey stuff or not💕

Ily my friends

ALSO

IF YOU WANT ME TO MAKE YOU A COVER FOR YOUR STORY

I WILL GLADLY DO IT

COMMENT HERE
YOUR STORY TITLE AND WHAT YOU WANT ON IT (any preferences really, characters, colors, etc.)

💕