Chapter Twenty Two: Valentine's Day

* Hermione's P.O.V *

I bolted from my bed, scrambled to my trunk, and checked fretfully if I had my present for Ron.

The two gold bangles were still locked in their box, hidden nearly under my folded sweaters.

I bit my lip, nervous.

I hoped he would like it, but I could never be sure. I mean, I remembered when Lavender had gotten him a necklace, so I didn't know how he'd react to jewelry.

But what else do you get a boy on Valentines day?!

I twirled the rings on my fingers, each with our names engraved in swoopy, curly scrawl. They were plain gold, but with small, decorate grooves on the sides.

I stared anxiously at the clock, until finally, it reached a reasonable hour to come downstairs.

***

As I scurried down, the box tucked nearly in my robes, I saw Ron leaning against the wall, fully dressed, waiting.

"Happy Valentines day," I said, smiling.

He stared at me, bemused.

"Valentines day?"

The pit of my stomach dropped.

He forgot!?

I thought of the ring in my pocket.

Ron continued down the hall, playing with his wand. He started to shake it violently.

"Bloody- thing - won't- work-"

"Ron! Stop! You're going to take someone's eye out!"

Suddenly, a bouquet of flowers shot into the sky out of his wand. He caught it, and handed them to me shyly.

"For you."

I gaped at him.

The roses were pure white, the stems tied together with a gold necklace. With one, single sapphire.

"Ron- oh my gosh- it's...they're....beautiful."

"Yeah, well, I've been practicing."

I smiled.

"I got something for you too, I pulled my rings from the inside of my robes.

I slid his onto his finger, turning it so he could see the inscription.

"A ring?"

I blushed furiously.

"Ron, it's not a ring, it's a bangle-"

"It's amazing."

I turned, if possible, more red.

"Piggy back?" He asked, as we turned down the hallway towards breakfast.

I raised my eyebrows.

"I don't do piggy back rides." I remembered riding on my fathers shoulders when I was really little, but I hadn't had one in years.

He leaned forward.

"C'mon...it's Valentines day..." He smirked tantalizingly.

"Ron-"

"Hermione just get on my back."

"Alright," I giggled uncharacteristically, and clambered onto his back.

He started to speed down he hall, giving me whiplash as we sharply turned corners, and I clung to his shoulders, laughing like a two year old

***

* Vanessa's P.O.V *

I climbed the stairs, head hung low.

Micheal Corner's words rang in my ears.

You're a pathetic wannabe, who could ever love you!

A tear rolled down my cheek.

I should've never came to Hogwarts.

I didn't belong here.

I should've just graduated where I belonged.

The steps stopped, and I leaned out the window, the wind on my face, drying my salty tears.

It was a long way down.

A long long way to the cold snow, the wind off the astronomy tower.

I imagined Ron, cozied up with Hermione on Valentines day

To jump or not to jump?

I put one foot on the ledge.

I wobbled.

I put the second foot up, clutching the top of the tower.

The harsh wind wipped my face, snowflakes fell, littering my hair, my eyelashes, my robes.

To jump or not to jump?

I had no friends.

Not really.

I had no boy friend.

There was nobody here who cared about me.

But what about outside of here?

My Dad obviously didn't care. He had missed my last three birthdays, Christmas, and every other holiday.

My mom didn't care. She was never there the way a mom should me, to care, to encourage, to pick you up and dust you off. She just paid for my school supplies.

My sister was only interested in how many boyfriends she had had, and how many she can go through before she finds one rich enough to settle down. She never listened to my problems, understood, giggled, was like a friend. She had only taught me how to catch a boy.

And that, the only bit of compassion she had showed me, I had failed on.

Who cared really.

Nobody.

Not even me.

I closed my eyes.

Maybe it'd be easier if I didn't look.

Just as I bent my knees, prepared to spring, the door burst open.

***

A/N: heyyyy

So school started😒

And yeah I'll try to update more, but idk with CC every day and homework and chior on Tuesdays and Confirmation classes on Wedensdays but we will see.

I'm more motivated to update if you comment your thoughts...just saying...😊😚