Chapter Sixty One

Teddy took a huge breath. He had to bite down hard on his lip as he slammed the door to the train shut. He had half a mind to jump off and run back to his family, but he just headed down the corridors nervously, in search for a seat.

He was extremely anxious because his best friend from his little league Quidditch team was homeschooled, so he was going to Hogwarts with virtually no one. He desperately wished Victorie were here, to tell him it'd be okay.

There were no empty compartments, since he had gotten there so late. Teddy had to take several moments of self-consolance before he opened the shiny glass door to a half-full compartment.

The only people who were in it were two girls sitting side by side, talking, and a boy on the other end, as far away as possible from them, looking like the pure illustration of 'afraid.' One of the girls had short, straight brown hair, rather big eyes, and a leg that was rocketing up and down. The other girl, a pretty blonde with the same big, round eyes, was nodding to the brunette as she talked, looking very much like she was only pretending to listen, and staring out the window haughtily instead.

The boy was scrawny looking, with arms and legs the size of twigs, sandy hair that fell well past his eyes, and even though he was sitting down, Teddy could tell the boy was at least two heads shorter than he was. He was positively drowning in his school robes.

He smiled awkwardly at the girls, who had stopped abruptly in their conversation, and sat opposite of the boy.

"Wow. Why is your hair blue?!" The brunette girl burst out. Teddy turned bright red, and so did his hair.

"Emily!" The blonde scolded. "You don't just ask people why their hair is blue!"

"It turned red! Did you see that?! His ha-"

"I saw it!" The blonde girl turned to Teddy. "Sorry about my sister. She doesn't have a filter."

Emily rolled her eyes when the girl wasn't looking.

"It's okay," Teddy laughed slowly. "I don't mind her asking. My mother was a metamorphagus, which means she could change how she looked, to whatever she wanted. I'm not. I can only change my hair color. But sometimes, it seems to have a mind of its own."

The blonde girl looked intrigued.

"Wow, that's really c-"

"What, did she die or something?" Emily interrupted her. Her sister turned and stared at her, angry and suprised, and seemingly at a loss for words at Emily's rudeness. Teddy just blinked.

"What?!" She defended herself indignantly. "He said was, so i just wondered-"

"Yeah." Teddy cut her off. "Yeah. She's dead."

"I'm so sorry," Emily's sister said, though Teddy wasn't very sure if she was apologizing about her sister, or his mother. "That must've been really...hard on you."

Teddy shrugged, staring out the window at the passing scenery, a pleasant field, spring green against the sunny sky.

"She died when I wasn't even one. So, it's not like it's a big deal."

He had never really talked about his parents death in great depth yet, and certainly didn't want to do so with these girls, not to mention then boy in the corner, soaking everything in. Harry had asked him about it a couple times, but Teddy had always changed the subject. It wasn't until his parents were brought up that he did think about them. He couldn't say he missed them, because how can you miss something you never had?

"My name's Elizabeth. Lizzie for short." The girl stuck out her hand, each of her long, slender fingers painted a light pink. She reminded him of Victorie a little bit. She couldn't have been older than Emily, but she sure acted like she was. He shook it.