Chapter Twenty: Nuna

{ huge time gap to January 20th }

* Neville's P.O.V *

I staggered out of greenhouse number five, covered head to toe, with dragon dung. I loved it.

The green houses always smelt so fresh, alive with the sounds of bugs and moving plants.

The rest of my competitors for the job were old, with graying hair. I felt like a fish out of water as I stood beside them, staring at Professor Sprout, waiting patiently.

"Mr. Longbottom and Mr. Handfray are the only ones who showed talent enough to be qualified for this position. The rest of you may leave,"

I thought that was a bit abrupt, and rather unkind, but I felt a small flutter in the pit of my stomach. I had beat all those people, I could actually do something better than someone! I hadn't felt that good since I slayed Voldemort's snake.

"You will take turns teaching classes tomorrow, to see if your expertise with plants can co-exist with your teaching skills, and how well you handle the students."

I felt another flutter. My mind jumped wildly to Luna, teaching in front of her, I imagined her face shining with admiration, her beautiful eyes, her long hair, her telling me more about those animals she liked. I couldn't wait to see her.

***

As my last class walked in, I crossed my fingers that Luna would be in it. I hadn't seen her all day, unless you count lunch, where she gave me a dreamy little wave, and I slopped pumpkin juice down my front.

We hadn't had any time to talk, because I had to rush and prepare for the next class.

I sincerely hoped I got the job. If I didn't, when else would I see Luna? I didn't know where she lived- though I supposed I could ask- so I couldn't write, and I didn't know if Gran would approve of her. She was probably too kooky for Gran's taste, but I didn't care. I loved her.

A large group of Slytherin's waltzed in, breathing steam through the cold, frigid air.

Behind them trailed in some Ravenclaws. I held my breath.

The last student to walk in was a short girl, blue tie slightly crooked, with long, wavy, waist-length bleach hair. Her wand was tucked behind her ear, poking through her locks. Radishes dangled from her pale earlobes.

Luna

My breath caught in my throat as she gave me a wave, her wide, luminous eyes bright.

Throughout the whole lesson, I kept fumbling over the roots of the Venomous Tactilla, kept looking over at her, kept giving her nervous smiles.

Then the class potted the Tactilla, and I walked around, surveying each one, Professor Sprout surveying me, occasionally correcting their handling.

When I came to Luna, I stared at her soft hands for much too long. She looked up at me, and gave me a beautiful smile.

I wanted to talk to her, tell her how I felt about her, hold her, kiss her, but now was not the time.

Instead, I said,

"Here, you need to be gentler, then they won't bite you as much."

I showed her the correct way, and my hand brushed against hers. It made shivers shoot up my spine.

I had to force myself to move on

***

As I collected my things, Proffessor Sprout patted my shoulder.

"Good job. I will be very surprised if Mr. Handfray does better tomorrow."

That sent a rare tingle of pride through my body as I replied "Thanks,"

As she bustled away, I saw her pass a lingering student, the slightly setting sun illuminating her leaning profile.

"Neville," she said in a lofty voice, eyes lighting up.

"Luna," I said, trying to keep my voice from cracking. "Can I walk you up?"

She nodded and began to skip ahead. I jogged to keep up.

We walked- well, Luna sort of skipped- up the hill to the castle, my eyes trailing to her every five seconds.

I wanted to be clever.

"Erm...well...nice...nice day huh?"

The weather. I was talking about the weather.

She grinned at me.

"I don't like winter much. Nargles are more active in the hallways. Four of my Christmas presents have already been taken."

"Oh, yeah, sorry about that...that's...wow...that's really..."

I was stuttering so bad, my lips were trembling, my hands shaking. I stuffed them in my pockets.

"What's wrong? Do you want me to check for Wrackspurts?"

"No...I mean...it's just ... OH MY GOSH I CAN'T! YOU'RE JUST SO BEAUTIFIUL." I didn't remember telling myself to say that.

She blinked. Then a slow smile spread over her face.

"That's nice. Nobody has ever said that to me before."

"They- they should." I laughed, breathing freer at her reaction.

A clouded expression came over her face.

"Neville?" She asked, her voice sweet. "Can I kiss you?"

I nodded.

She pressed her lips to mine, and they were everything I dreamed they'd be, soft, smooth, and tasting of strawberries. I ran a hand through her soft hair, as she placed her arms around my neck.

As we kissed, the sun setting, snow drifting down on us, air frosty, I thought of how people always told me I would never accomplish anything, how I was worthless.

But as I kissed the beautiful Luna, I knew, I wouldn't trade it for any special, heroic accomplishment that the world could offer.

***

A/N: sorry I didn't update, I was busy, and I was so happy when I came back to comments! 💞 I didn't think that this story was even good, you guys are the best.

Add me on Pottermore if you have one 😏👌 I'm MarauderRune26808