Chapter Thirty

*Vanessa's P.O.V*

I reclined back in the stuffed armchair I was sitting in, having just finished my homework. I felt at peace with the world, having a satisfaction with being done with work, the merrily cracking fire, and hearing Hermione's soft giggles as her and Ron spoke. Looking over at them, I felt no pang of jealousy. They were perfect together. I was stupid.

Nothing could ruin how happy I felt.

I heard a strange tapping noise as I closed my eyes. Turning around, I saw several fifth years hurry to open the window, at witch a dark and big black owl, with Brady yellow eyes, emerged from, a crisp, official looking letter lodged in his beak.

One of the girls tilted her head to read the name on the outside of the envelope.

"Vanessa Hopfinger? Is she here?" Her voice rang out.

"That's me," I said confusedly. Who would write? Surely not my father, and most certainly not Celeste. Maybe it was my mom, but why now, so near the end of the year? She hadn't even wanted me home for Christmas.

Quite a few people stared at me as I broke open the seal, which was pressed with a crest, a single tall tower in the middle of a sea.

I took out the letter and began to read.

My heart beat faster with every word.

It couldn't be true.

***

I remember the day Celeste moved out. She had all her things in boxes, stowed in a magically enlargened purse. Yes, she could do that spell. She was very smart. She just didn't feel like doing anything.

She turned to shout over her shoulder at mom and I who were eating breakfast silently, as always "I'm leaving to live with Gene, so, later." Gene was yet another boyfriend.

So with a swish of her hair, so like mine, she was gone.

I remember vaguely wondering when the next time I'd talk to her was.

I would never had guessed that it'd be through bars, surrounded by dementors and the whistling of the sea.

She had been caught with three illegal drugs, mixtures of rare magical plants and bloods of horrible creatures. One was rolled up and smoked, the other inhaled.

I could barely think as they led me to her cell, drawing my cloak further around me and closing my eyes to the overwhelming smell of sea salt.

As soon as I saw her, I gasped.

She was withered and thin, baggy Azkaban robes hanging limply off her body. Her hair had lost it's lust, once so full, shiny and smooth, now looked thin, oily and snarly. There were dark purple shadows around her yellowing eyes.

She croaked "Van." When she saw me. "What are you doing here?"

It was the first time she had seen me in five years. And the first thing she said to me was 'what are you doing here.' I felt sick. I was here o see her. Because I cared.

I couldn't find words. Finally, after what seemed like ten minutes, I choked out,

"How long have you been doing this?"

She still hadn't looked at me, she was staring at my shoe.

"Awhile," was her low, raspy, muttering reply. I shivered at her voice.

"Why did you do it?" It was the question I really wanted answered, why she had thrown away her whole life, why she had been such a fool.

Her eyes glanced up at me, hands bound, her expression that of an old woman. She was now looking at me directly, as though her once-shining-blue eyes were boring into my soul.

"I thought I could handle it."

I shook my head, looking away. I was seized by a sudden fear. How many times had people told me that I'd looked like her, talked like her, acted like her? For how many years had I wanted to be just like her? Was I looking at my future? Was this the inevitable me?

The dementors motioned to me. My time was up.

As I turned to leave, Celeste called out.

"Whatever you do, don't be like me. Don't end up like me. Please."

I shook my head at her in disgust, making a silent vow to myself that I would never, in a thousand years, be like that.

I was going to be like my new friends, smart, loyal, brave, and confident. I wasn't going to be like her.

I'd spent my whole fucking life trying to be that. Well not anymore.

***

A/N: idek anymore man. Wattpad doenst cooperate with the bold so.

What did you think? Apologize for short chapter and long wait for an update! I might even do another one later today.

some of my most active readers stopped commenting and stuff, and that makes me sad 😭

ALSO TOMORROW IS MY BIRTHDAY HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME