It's Not What It Looks Like

Lexi let out a surprised yelp as Nik playfully nipped at the bare skin on her neck. After last night's festivities, Elijah, Lexi, and Nik fell asleep. In the morning, they all played clean up before Lexi showered. As the red room had a connecting bathroom and spare room attached which they had been using all morning, Lexi then had to reply to a chain of messages from Kol to show that she was in fact alive. Now, after taking advantage of the extra clothes in the spare room, Nik, Lexi, and Elijah were finally ready to leave the red room and never speak of what had happened again.  Nik let out a teasing growl at Lexi's reaction causing Lexi to huff before moving from his arms to Elijah's. 

"Come on" Elijah reassured as he opened the door, "You need to eat something." As soon as the door was open to it's full capacity Lexi's heart stopped beating.

"Kai" Nik acknowledged before awkwardly clearing his throat. Kai, who had been searching for Lexi all morning, ran his eyes over the group in an attempt to decipher why they looked so guilty. Kai's gaze then flickered to the room behind them. As Kai began to recognise different items, his brain began working overtime. He then tilted his head as his mind processed the new information he had just learnt. After his eyes did one final lap over Elijah, Nik, Lexi, and the room behind them, he spoke.

"Okay then" Kai responded before turning and continuing to walk down the hallway like nothing happened.

Oops... I think?

----------------------------------------------------

"What is wrong?" Lexi asked as she traced the details of Kai's bare back. Kai let out a disturbed grumble as he snuggled his face further into Lexi's stomach. "I don't speak inner animal" Lexi teased, "Can you please translate?" Kai huffed before moving further up Lexi's body so that he was lying more on her chest.

"Can we talk?" Kai asked awkwardly, something clearly on his mind and distressing him to say the least. Lexi, picking up on this, instantly shifted her demeanour to prepare for what Kai was about to throw at her.

"Always." Lexi stated as she ran her fingers up his back reassuringly.

"After we got out of the prison world" Kai mumbled, unable to meet her eyes. As Kai paused, Lexi moved one of her hands to cup his face, encouraging him to meet her eyes. Kai hesitated, running his tongue over his lower lip in procrastination before he continued. "I tried to figure out how we were- connected. I had heard you and Damon mention soulmates but you hadn't said anything about that to me so I decided to look into what I knew myself." Lexi furrowed her brows, confused.

"What did you know about us?" She asked, trying to recall everything that had happened in the prison world which already felt like a distant memory.

"That I had made a butterfly tattoo appear on your leg." Kai rambled as he traced his soul mark which was still half tattoo, half scarring. "So I did some research into butterfly tattoos and the meaning behind them." Kai continued, trying to distract himself as he watched his fingers trail the mark.

Butterfly tattoos?

"What did you find?" Lexi asked, having not caught onto his train of thought yet.

"One of the meanings behind a butterfly tattoo has to do with this thing called the butterfly project." 

"Kai-" Lexi started, her heartrate beginning to quicken as she picked up on what Kai was leading to.

"It is an organisation which works to help people who are struggling with self-harm." Kai continued, cutting Lexi off. Lexi tensed at his words, not knowing what to expect. "After I moved in and the mate bond was explained to me, Elijah told me that the soul mark you get is generally a representation of traits which we both have."

"What are you saying?" Lexi asked, hoping that she was wrong in her assumptions. As Kai momentarily paused, Lexi's heart dropped, her mind beginning to race.

"Have you tried to hurt yourself?" Kai blurted out in a whisper. Lexi instantly closed her eyes, knowing that Kai was currently watching the soul mark and hadn't noticed the tears which were beginning to brew in her eyes at the all too vivid memories. As Lexi tried to slow her breathing, she noticed a new pressure which was beginning to restrict her breaths. 

"Have you?" Lexi questioned, trying to defer the inevitable conversation for as long as possible.

"I spent almost 2 decades in that prison world. I have already told you that I tried to kill myself more ways than I can count. Harming myself just came as a side effect." Kai uttered, painfully aware of how vulnerable he was making himself, "So if I asked again?"

"I have" Lexi whispered, looking up in an attempt to block the tears which were burning her eyes as her mind drowned in years worth of unresolved trauma. "In the last year of living with my mother and for a bit in the system before one of the carers found out." Lexi continued, her voice cracking as a tear from one of her eyes escaped and was now trickling down her face. Kai let out a shuddered breath, although the answer was expected the pain in Lexi's voice put his inner animal through an unbearable level of torment. After Kai raised his head, he instantly noticed the tears staining Lexi's skin.

"Baby" Kai mumbled as he pressed soft kisses to the damp trails of where her tears had escaped. Lexi clenched her eyes closed, shaking her head as she tried to dismiss the painful memories which were threatening to surface. "Baby" Kai repeated as he tightened his hold around her, trying to support her shoulders which were beginning to tremble.

Lexi heaved in a few shaky breaths before pressing her lips to Kai's as she searched for any form of comfort. Kai instantly responded, graciously moving his lips against her. As the gesture carried on, Kai and Lexi both grew to understand the mutual experiences they had both been put through causing a new connection between them to form. After a few moments, Kai placed a string of soft kisses along her jaw before moving further down. 

Kai softly grazed his lips along the side her neck, distracting Lexi from her previous thoughts. Kai then began to press a series of light kisses along the parts of Lexi's neck which he had observed to be more sensitive. As Kai's lips began to move further down her chest, Lexi snapped herself from her trance.

"Kai-" Lexi started before she was cut off.

"We don't have to go any further." Kai stated as if reading her mind. Lexi paused for a moment, taken aback by the pure admiration she held for Kai as he controlled his freshly heightened emotions and inner animal for her.

"Thank you" Lexi whispered as she brushed her lips against Kai's. Kai nodded his head slightly before returning his lips to her neck. 

As the enchanting vibrations of Lexi's pulse rippled under Kai's lips, he momentarily lost control of his mind. Dark veins began to dance under his eyes as the melodic sound of her blood pumping through her jugular consumed him. Kai's gaze instantly shot up to Lexi's trying to read how she was currently feeling. 

Observing Kai's pause, Lexi's gaze moved down to meet Kai's. Lexi, who had immediately noticed the veins under Kai's eyes, pieced together what he was currently thinking. Kai searched Lexi's eyes for any doubt or hesitation as she nodded as a form of consent. After finding no reluctance, Kai's eyes moved back her throat as his fangs began to extend. Kai grazed his selected area before piercing her skin.

A soft gasp escaped Lexi's lips as Kai began to reactivate the bond.