Stressful Shenanigans

"Come on." Rebekah coaxed as she traced the details of the door in front of her. "Come out."

I'M BI- I mean no- but yes-

Lexi let out a soft whine before opening the door. A smile instantly broke out on Rebekah's lips as she indiscreetly checked out Lexi's figure.

"You look really hot." Rebekah noted.

"I look really pregnant." Lexi said as she looked in the full-body mirror in Rebekah's room. Under Rebekah's 'healthy encouragement', Lexi decided to wear one of the dresses Rebekah had recently bought for her. It was a pale lavender dress which hugged Lexi's figure... or what was left of it. Rebekah mainly picked it out as it highlighted just how pregnant Lexi was... a fact which Lexi hated.

"That is hardly a problem." Rebekah said as she turned Lexi's hips towards her so that Lexi was now facing her. 

"Just a few more months." Lexi said before pressing her lips to Rebekah's. "Then I don't have this thing." She continued, running her hand over her stomach, "But I do have a super cute mini me who I can teach to say 'bitch' as her first word." Rebekah's expression dropped as she glared at Lexi. "I'm kidding" Lexi teased, "Her first world will obviously be 'fuck'."

"If Elijah asks, you never said this to me." Rebekah stated. Rebekah then rested her forehead on Lexi's as they got lost in the moment.

"We should probably go now." Lexi said after a few minutes, "Buy some more baby clothes despite the fact she'll grow out of them in like 3 seconds." Rebekah smiled as she took Lexi's hand and raised her wrist so that she could press a kiss to her mark.

"Let's go."

----------------------------------------------------

"You're pacing again." Lexi noted as Nik began walking up and down the length of the room. Nik huffed as he kept walking.

"She's late again." Nik countered. Lexi fought the urge to roll her eyes before Elijah slid his fingers between hers, trying to comfort her.

"You should really put him on a leash." Kol muttered as he watched Nik continue pacing. Nik instantly glared at Kol, not appreciating his sly remarks.

"How are we- oh." Dr Hart started as she entered the room but cut herself off as her eyes landed on the bed.

"Kai, that's your cue to move." Lexi explained as she tried to push Kai, who was currently clinging to her, off the half-seat-half-bed that Dr Hart made Lexi lay on for all of her ultrasounds.

"No" Kai grumbled against her skin as his hold on her tightened.

I don't get paid enough for this shit.

"Um" Dr Hart started. "That's okay." She said, clearly uncomfortable. "He can stay there for now." She continued although it sounded more like a question than a statement. Kai let out a pleased hum as he nuzzled closer to her. "So Lexi, you just entered your third trimester. At this point-"

Yeah I stop listening here...

If people could give birth when we lived in caves I think I can give birth in a hospital.

"Okay." Dr Hart stated, "Now I'm just going to run the same tests I have been for the last few months if that's okay with you." 

"Always is." Lexi said, her gaze flickering up to Elijah as she checked if he had been listening to everything Dr Hart had just explained. Elijah gave her a subtle nod, affirming her thought before Dr Hart lifted Lexi's arm and began checking her blood pressure.

Once Dr Hart had a result for Lexi's right arm, she looked awkwardly between Lexi and Kai. Picking up on this, Lexi spoke.

"Kai" She started earning her a soft groan, "I need my arm back." Kai let out a louder groan as he let Lexi push him off the bed, causing him to land on the ground with a thud which surprisingly didn't seem to faze him. Dr Hart looked between Lexi and Kai again, clearly very confused. Dismissing her confusion, Dr Hart checked Lexi's blood pressure again on her now free arm.

"Okay." Dr Hart said as she recorded the results, something very clearly on her mind.

"What is it?" Nik blurted out.

"Nothing we need to worry about at this very moment." Dr Hart said, clearly worrying about it at this very moment.

She is a terrible liar.

"What is it?" Rebekah repeated in a significantly less friendly matter than Niklaus had previously spoken in.

"Her blood pressure is quite a bit higher that we would like it at this point but I'm going to continue running the other tests to see if I can figure out what's going on." Dr Hart explained.

She made it sound like I'm dying...

fun.

 All of Lexi's mates then shifted uncomfortably, their guards automatically going up. Trying to reassure at least one of them, Lexi ran her thumb over Elijah's knuckles as he was still holding her hand. To say the rest of the appointment was tense would be a understatement. 

"Okay." Dr Hart said once she recorded all of the test results, "Everything else seems to be normal-"

"What does it mean?" Elijah blurted out, cutting off Dr Hart.

"What does what mean?" Dr Hart asked.

"The high blood pressure." Elijah clarified. 

"High blood pressure is simply just when the blood pressure is higher than usual but whilst pregnant, some of the risks that come with high blood pressure during the third trimester are gestational hypertension, placental abruption, a premature delivery or possibly even preeclampsia but she is far from that."

Why did she say that in third person?

Baby I ain't even here... I'm a hallucination.

"What causes the high blood pressure?" Elijah asked as he became increasingly anxious with Dr Hart's words. As Elijah spoke, Kai took the opportunity to crawl back onto the bed and curl back into Lexi's side, clearly distressed by the information as well.

"Generally high blood pressure is caused by pre-existing conditions such diabetes, a variety of kidney diseases, or chronic hypertension. As Lexi doesn't have any of these conditions, it could be a result of previously having pre-eclampsia or a close relative having it." Dr Hart explained, "Have any of you close relatives, a mother, sister or otherwise had any issues with pre-eclampsia?" Lexi only shook her head in response, not appreciating the reminder of her mother. "Well other than that it is generally just result of stress." Dr Hart stated.

*insert nervous laughter*

hmmm that's interesting...

"I can only recommend working to relieve your stress and we'll just have to keep a close eyes on your blood pressure and the baby to make sure this doesn't go any further."  Dr Hart suggested. As Lexi brought herself to raise her gaze, she instantly took note of all of Mikaelsons watching her carefully... Kai was too busy making out with her shoulder at this point. The Mikaelsons quickly took note of her racing heartbeat and quickly pieced together that there was something worrying her which she hadn't told them about. Lexi quickly dropped her awkward gaze from them out of guilt

Ah shit.