XLV. Boggart

"Intriguing, isn't it?" Lupin says as we stare at the shaking cabinet.

"Would anyone like to venture a guess as to what is inside?" Lupin asks as a Gryffindor nods.

"That's a boggart, that is." The Gryffindor answers as Lupin nods with a smile.

"Very good, mr. Thomas." Lupin congratulates as the cabinet then shakes again.

"Now, can anybody tell me what a boggart looks like?" Lupin asks again as the class is silent before Hermione speaks up from next to me making me flinch against her sudden appearance.

"No one knows." Hermione says as I stare at her wide eyed.

"Boggarts are shape-shifters. They take the shape of whatever a particular person fears the most. That's what makes them so..." she stops as she was cut off by Lupin.

"So terrifying. Yes. Yes, yes, yes..." Lupin says as another thud is heard from the cabinet.

"Luckily, I very simple charm exists to repel a boggart." Lupin explains as he steps infront of the cabinet.

"Let's practice it now. Uh, without wands, please. After me: riddikulus!" Lupin instructs as the class repeats the spell.

"Very good. A little louder and very clear. Listen, riddikulus!" Lupin says as the class repeats the spell again louder.

"This class is riddikulus." Draco scoffs as Hermione rolls her eyes at the blonde's words.

"Very good! Well, so much for the easy part. You see, incantation alone is not enough. What really finishes a boggart is... laughter. You need to force it to assume a shape you find truly amusing. Let me explain." Lupin explains as he glances around the room.

"Uh, Neville! Will you join me, please?" Lupin says as neville glances around nervously.

"Come on. Don't be shy!" Lupin says with a smile as neville nervously walks forward.

"Neville, what frightens you most of all?" Lupin asks as neville mutters something we can't hear.

"Sorry?" Lupin says as neville looks up at him nervously.

"Professor snape..." he mutters as the class laughs, even I snickered slightly at the boy.

"Professor snape? Yes. Frightens all." He says with a distanced look on his face before snapping back to reality. "And I believe you live with your grandmother?"

"Y-yes... but I don't want that boggart to turn into her either." Neville says as I snicker at the boy.

"No, it won't. I want you to picture her clothes— only her clothes— very clearly, in your mind." Lupin instructs as neville nods nervously.

"She carry's a red handbag..." neville stops as Lupin interrupts him.

"We don't need to hear. As long as you see it, we'll see it." Lupin explains as neville nods.

"Now, when I open that wardrobe, here's what I want you to do. Excuse me." Lupin says before whispering something to neville.

"Can you do that?" Lupin asks as he straightens up.

"Wand at the ready! One... two... three." He states before the doorknob twist open and the form of Professor snape walks out with a glare.

"Think, neville, think." Lupin instructs as the snape look alike walks towards him.

"Riddikulus!" Neville says as suddenly the snape look alike staggers backwards and he suddenly is wearing an idiotic hat and scarf with a plaid green dress and a black hat. Along with heels and a red handbag.

The students laugh as neville smiles slightly.

"Wonderful, neville! Wonderful! Incredible. Okay! To the back, neville. Everyone, form a line!" Lupin instructs as me, Hermione, and Draco walk towards the back off the line.

Draco shoves potter with a grin as Harry grunts before glaring and Draco and walking off.

We stand in the back of the line as Harry and Ron stand near the front.

"I want everyone to picture the thing they fear the very most and turn it j to something... funny." Lupin says as he turns on some music.

"Next, Ron!" Lupin says as Ron nervously steps forward with the music playing in the background.

"Concentrate, face your fear. Be brave!" Lupin says as the boggart shifts into a large spider.

Ron stares wide eyed and whimpers at the spider fearfully.

"Riddikulus!" Ron says as the spider suddenly is on roller skates.

"Yes! You see? Very good!" Lupin congratulated as he walks towards the next in line.

"Parvati! Next!" Lupin announces as the girl steps up nervously.

A giant hissing snake appears as I look at it curiously.

"Riddikulus!" The girl yells as the snake forms into a clown jack in the box.

"Great job! Next!" Lupin yell as Harry steps forward.

The boggart starts to shift into a dementor as Lupin jumps infront of him.

The boggart forms into the image of a full moon with the silhouette of a familiar man infront of it.

"Riddikulus!" Lupin yells as boggarts turns into a balloon with a smiley face on it.

The balloon flies around the room before finally getting trapped back in the cabinet again.

"Sorry about that. Uh, that's enough for today. If you'd all like to collect your books form the back of the class, that's the end of the lesson. Thank you!" Lupin says as mutters of disapproval ring throughout the classroom.

"Sorry. Sorry. Go on. You can have too much of a good thing." Lupin instructs as I pout before dragging Draco and Hermione out of the classroom.