Chapter 13

October 16th, 2021

The group had spent the past few hours talking, largely speaking of nothing of great importance, mostly just making fun of each other. You know, the usual elaborate banter that Finn tended to get into after his third drink and that others simply followed.

Logan was fairly soberm however, having not even finished his first scotch, having nursed it lengthily. It was for that reason he'd remained fairly quiet in this discussion, simply being glad to be around his friends again. Odette had never liked the bunch much, so their presence hadn't been favored at their place in London, not that he'd always given in to her preferences. While at first he'd found ways to catch up and meet up with them when he was in the States, little by little those had become more scarce because he just didn't feel like he'd be good company.

They guys had teased Logan on his less-alcohol policy a bit too, and he'd expected it. It wasn't bullying or peer-pressure as such, and for him it wasn't a problem as such - it wasn't like he had an actual drinking problem. And while he had enjoyed a few drinks every now and again, and also that evening - the amount that seemed to do it for him was quite small these days. What he was doing was similar to someone trying to lose weight and watching his calories. Except calories weren't his problem either, he just wanted to think straight and stop numbing whatever he felt. He'd done that for too long.

He was actually regretting having drank when he'd been at Rory's, thinking back. Maybe he would've actually admitted to how often he'd thought about her during all these years if he'd thought more clearly? Maybe he couldn've actually said something more than just the apology he'd mastered, something more substantial?

The majority of the group were a few drinks ahead of him, certainly, Rory included, the drinks having loosened her tongue considerably. But Rory was always a fun drunk, her expressions and speech getting quirkier, but at the same time she got braver and more outspoken. She also got naughtier, but not all the guys in this group knew that. She was definitely an intriguing sight to observe like this.

"I actually have a little announcement to make," Robert interrupted their previous conversation topic of their recent business travels. Logan had sensed he'd been meaning to bring something up before a couple of times, but had gotten either cold feet or simply been interrupted by one of the other guys.

"Oh, wait...don't tell me..," Finn said, pretending to do the psychic routine by making rounds at his temples with his fingers, making a humming sound. "Nope - too drunk for that," he admitted, gave up and laughed.

"I'm inviting all of you over to Chicago in August," Robert announced. Chicago was where he lived and worked these days. Financial auditing. But he was management, hence able to leave the duller parts to his employees.

"We'll happily come, but what's the occasion?" Colin inquired.

"There doesn't have to be an occasion, does there?" Logan pitched in, feeling like they all just needed quality time together.

"It might involve tuxes," Robert admitted, sheepishly.

It was beginning to make sense to Logan already. After all, in the light of Logan's divorce he could understand why Robert might have felt it was not a topic that would exactly be welcomed. Colin was also one to make cases against marriages throughout his jokes, so it did make sense.

"You didn't!?" Finn exclaimed, being a few steps behind.

Rory just raised her eyebrows at him, looking surprised and curious.

"Yup, I'm getting married. Zoe finally wore me down with all of her hinting," Robert confessed. "August 27th, you'll get your save the day cards or whatever in the mail...," he added. "And Logan, I'm going to need an address sooner rather than later," Robert said to Logan.