Chapter 57

February 5th, 2022

Logan loved how driving from Vinyard Haven towards Makohikey cleared his mind. Supposedly it was similar to what Rory had described to him concerning Nantucket. Coming to his place, formerly his family's place and now his, in Martha's Vineyard had once meant a break from everything else because back in the 1990s and 2000s there actually had been a chance that there wasn't good reception in every part of the island, which offered a good excuse to dodge a few calls.

He'd left Loki with Rory and Em, unsure how safe the old house was for the puppy to roam in while he focused on packing. He aimed to be back that same night, but there was a slight risk going through everything would take him a little longer.

The roads here were pleasantly narrow, reminding him of older European towns, and the older houses, similarly to Nantucket, small - at least in the parts closer to the Vineyard Haven. The difference this time was that he actually felt a little like he didn't fit in anymore. Partly it was the fault of the rental Ford Transit he was driving, knowing he'd need to haul back at least a few boxes, and he hadn't entirely ruled out he wouldn't want some smaller pieces of furniture for the new house. Nothing major, maybe a dresser, a few personal items or some coffee table, mostly aiming to use them in the guest rooms, wanting to be sensible with his money. It was also something his therapist had suggested, since he'd already abandoned everything else in his life when he'd left London. According to her, leaving like that could've left him with a bit of a fluctuating identity, her theory being that things that connected one to the past were often physical items.

He turned right from the road to visit Cronig's Market, deciding to grab a few things for lunch, and possibly dinner if he decided to stay, and parked the van at a vacant spot by the shop front. He truly enjoyed the island this time of year - even on the weekends there wasn't too much crowd.

He noticed a few familiar faces, the kind that were best avoided, across the parking lot, packing their groceries into their car, and Logan pulled his shoulders up instinctively, wanting to blend into the background and made his way quickly towards the store. He didn't want to explain - neither his presence, his choice of vehicle, the sale of the house, which many had surely noticed nor his divorce that surely was primarily in these people's minds whom he had once known here compared to how well his life was really going. Still - he almost felt like he just wanted to get this over as quickly as possible.

He bought a chopped salad mix, some salted peanuts, hummus and pita, aiming that to suffice for lunch. He didn't bother with anything too complex for dinner, not even being sure he'd be there long enough and bought some pasta and some basic pasta sauce which would be easy enough to just bring home if he didn't finish. After picking up something to drink, he made his way towards the register, not wanting to risk running into anyone he knew.

It was however as he piled his purchases onto the register, it was the person in front of him whose voice he recognized, it taking him several seconds to place.

"The lobster you had last week was incredible, you don't happen to know what company that was from?" the tall and slightly chubby man asked the check-out girl, making casual conversation.

"I'm sorry, I wouldn't know. But you could go ask Sean in the back," the girl suggested.

"Another time then," the man replied, and in that moment cast a look towards Logan, casually.

It took them both a moment, both the timing and the location being so weird for them to meet.

"Hugo Gray! What a small world!" Logan said, his tone changing from the avoidance he'd prepared himself for to something a lot more friendly and genuine. He offered to shake his hand.