Chapter 33

November 24th, 2021

The bathroom at Dr. Rigg's office, the modern forest lodge that functioned as her office, really looked more like it belonged to a spa. Rolled up cotton towels, expensive smelling diffusers, hand lotion in tiny tubes, mood lighting. The biggest spectacle of the place, however, was the fact that it had a full glass wall looking out into the woods, leaving one doing his or her business practically out in the open. There was nobody out there for at least a mile, of course. Unless one counted some birds and wild animals as an audience. But it was definitely a brave design choice. Rory figured it was probably a mind trick of some sort - seeing whether people would be able to step outside of their comfort zone and not give a damn. It had a switch on the wall that would transform the translucent glass to opaque in a second for those not brave enough.

However, this spectacle wasn't the reason Rory was taking her time in the bathroom - washing her hands thoroughly with the apple and elderflower soap and enjoying the way the slightly dimmed light actually didn't emphasize her little flaws in the bronze toned mirror.

It wasn't that she didn't want to go into the room and have her joint session with Logan.

But the entire beginning of the week and the drive over, she just had a feeling that maybe Logan needed some alone time with the therapist. He'd just been so thoughtful and quiet - she could tell something was up. She wasn't sure if it really worked like that with him, if he could just speak to her about his issues or how long it would take him to open up, or would the therapist even read him like that - or maybe she just focused on couples.

They may have been comfortable around each other naked, about having each-other's passwords and reading each-other's messages, but she wasn't there yet to push him to talk.

But there was only so much time she could spend in that bathroom, sensing she'd been in there suspiciously long already. She sighed, and exited, glancing one final look over her work outfit.

"Sorry," Rory said, apologetically, as she slipped into a room of silence, and saw Logan waiting for her expectantly on the couch.

Dr. Rigg's, looking like she'd just stepped off the cover of Om Yoga, smiled invitingly, and gestured to her to sit.

Rory almost felt like if they'd been talking about anything, it had been her.

"So how have the two of you been?" Dr. Riggs asked.

"We've been pretty good," Rory replied, but became hesitant as Logan wasn't as swift to answer. "We are, right?" she asked, feeling a momentary panic.

"I guess," Logan replied, sceptically.

"What?" Rory responded, shaking her head in confusion. "What did I miss?" she asked.

"I don't know, you were the one just in the bathroom for fifteen minutes," Logan shrugged.

"And when you say pretty good, what do you mean by that exactly?" Dr. Riggs inquired.

"No-no-no, wait," Rory raised her hands as if giving up. "I think things between us are good, I swear!" Rory objected.

"Do you even want to do the therapy with me?" Logan accused her. He sounded mad.

"I do, I do," Rory replied, but it seemed to go to deaf ears.

"Now, Rory, when you were here last time you told me if you were forced to choose between your daughter and this relationship there would be no competition. So would that mean if Logan ever were to move for his work, say - somewhere else on the East coast, that you wouldn't move with him?" the therapist inquired, really pressing Rory for answers.