Chapter 54

January 11th, 2022 (so a small jump back)

Rory had just gotten in her car and put on one of the playlists Logan had shared with ther to clear her brain from her work. The first song was Lucy Rose's 'Question It All' - not quite what she was in the mood for but she let it play. It felt good being back at work, but it also came with a dread that she was now noticing more clearly than ever. The count-down to the next holiday had begun in her head already.

She didn't get very far - just out of the parking lot, when her attention was drawn by the incoming call.

"Hey, dad," Rory answered.

"Hey!" Christopher replied. "Did I catch you at a bad time?" he asked, hearing the car in the background.

"Just going to pick up Em," Rory replied. "What's up?" she asked, not hurrying him up especially but surely getting to the point.

"I just wanted to share the good news," Christopher began proudly. "Here, you tell her," he added, and handed the phone over to a somewhat reluctant Gigi.

"Hi," she replied. Clearly the girl was not much for actual phone calls.

"Hey, Gigi," Rory said. "Well?" she asked hopefully.

"I got into Yale! Early admissions," Gigi said, sounding clearly excited and happy.

"Wow! That's so great! I'm so happy for you. Congratulations!" Rory replied, recalling well how long she'd have to wait to hear back from Yale herself. Gigi was really lucky.

"Thanks!" Gigi replied.

"You sound happy!" Rory replied.

But the phone had already been handed back to Christopher. "Yeah, we are happy, one weight off my shoulders again," he chuckled.

"Don't worry - I'll make sure she's treated really well, I have so many contacts over there," Rory assured, excitedly. Oh, Gigi was going to have the college experience of a lifetime, and she'd make sure of that.

"Yeah, that's kind of what I am worried about," Christopher added, in a joking manner.

"She'll be fine," Rory soothed him, as she continued to drive.

"So how about you? Everything going well?" Christopher asked.

"Yeah," Rory answered on an exhale, not wanting to start whining about her job. "We're buying a house with Logan," she shared. She'd texted a little with Christopher in regards to Luke and Lorelai last week, but she hadn't gone into other details at that point.

"You are?!" Christopher reflected.

"Yeah, it's a pretty big place. Over at Girard Avenue, I don't know if you know the area that well," Rory explained.

"Girard?" That's like a couple of blocks from where I grew up," Christopher laughed.

"You did?" How did I not know that!?" Rory chuckled. But then again she'd never been to Hayden's when they'd lived in Hartford, and whether it had been mentioned casually, she really didn't recall.

"Beats me," Christopher replied.

"Well... it's a nice place, scarily big compared to what I have now. But it had that nice energy about it, Em likes it" Rory explained, and went on to describe to the place.

"Sounds good," Christopher said with an exhale. "You okay on the money front?" he asked with light, fatherly, concern.

Once Rory had gotten her inheritage it had been Christopher who'd been the only person she'd been seriously able to discuss monetary matters with. Her mother was always uncomfortable with this type of amounts, unless it concerned her business, and spoke mostly about buying pink ponies and shoes rather than long term investments and intrests.