Chapter 19

October 31st, 2021

This was Stars Hollow at its finest. Pumpkins of all shapes and sizes, strawbale, fake spider webs with gigantic spiders hanging down from trees and lampposts, creepy-looking branches, an occasional skeleton or a mad scientist jumping out from behind various objects and of course remaindor the orange-golden leaves on most of the trees, the latter being there naturally. Some really just used the holiday to already put their Christmas lights into good use, but skipped the Santas and bells for now.

Of course no decor could do wonders with the mood if the people didn't go along with it - but here they did, unlike in West Hartford. It was for this reason Rory occasionally missed living in Stars Hollow, but she valued her extra hour of sleep in the mornings she could have if she didn't have to commute nearly 30 miles.

But this time of year she was almost wanting to reconsider. Seeing all the friendly faces, and seeing the smile on Em's face did that. She could see a family of three dressed as the sky - the kid as a rainbow, mom and dad as clouds, Babette and Morey as Men In Black and one of the teenagers groups dressed like they'd just stepped out of Grease had just taken over the gazebo, a Frida Kahlo with the unibrow, and her favourite Morticia and Wednesday that remind her a little bit of her and her mother when they'd once tried that.

Rory walked around the town square sipping on some pumpkin-spice chai latte, looking almost like a traitor. Her only costume so far was Em's kitty headband from last year and a tail that was tied to the back of her jeans, having been in a hurry running her errands as brunch with Logan had taken a little longer than she'd planned. She wasn't alone, however, Em was hopping ahead of her, having stuck with her Tinker Bell outfit.

"Wait up," Lorelai called after her, having been held up, talking to one of her Inn customers, who was looking for directions, for a moment. But as Em could hardly be stopped with everything as inviting and festive, Rory had continued walking behind Em who was trick or treating.

Lorelai was dressed as a lion tamer, wearing a red-bowed tophat, a red vest and a ring master's coat with a pair of dark leggings, a whip and golden ring in her one hand.

Mrs. Kim's was next.

"Trick or treat," Em cheered along with a few other kids, one dressed as an astronaut, another as a pinecone and two Elsa's from Frozen at Mrs. Kim's doorstep.

"Didn't you warn her?" Lorelai commented to Rory, both having stayed a few steps behind the kids. It was no longer their night.

"Lane actually gave her a recipe for date balls yesterday, so there's some hope," Rory replied, hopefully.

"Date balls?!" Lorelai stared at her daughter questioningly.

"Yes, date, you know - the sweet palm fruit. You blend them up in a mixer with some coconut or nuts. They're good," Rory summed it up, speaking seriously.

"Nuts," Lorelai chuckled, still being on a child's level with her humour sometimes, while Mrs. Kim appeared at the door with a bowl of treats. If they were date balls, one couldn't really tell at least, leaving the kids a little puzzled. But people were trustworthy around here, and while it may not be the most popular treat of the night she was still friendly enough not to frighten the little ones. But if there was anyone who would get away with poor Halloween treats, it was her. Nobody wanted to be under the fury of Mrs. Kim.

With some encouragement from her mother Em hopped ahead to the next house - the McGregor's who Lorelai knew through work.

"So how was it?" Lorelai inquired from Rory, in just a few words, leaving Rory with no doubt what she was asking about, as the kids were in awe of the McGregor's teenagers own costumes - the Simpsons.