Chapter 52

January 2nd, 2022

Logan watched as Rory moved from room to room with an incredibly serene look on her face, feeling like he himself hadn't really needed to see the place at all. The look on her face was all he needed.

It was something about the way these light-colored walls lit up as the sun shone through the white gridded windows. The place had all these little nooks built in white-painted bookcases and bumped out window-seats, just like Em had dreamed about. It was easy to picture the rooms with their furniture, a lit up fireplace - much like their holiday in Nantucket had been, minus the nautical knick-knacks. The main living spaces were more open than in the other places than they'd seen, and many of the rooms on the main floor were walk-through, but as Em dashed through these spaces it showed a glimpse of how it livened up the space rather than being an inconvenience.

The place wasn't impeccable, needing little repairs here and there and it did lack that fence which Logan had initially set as a criteria with Loki in mind. But in light of the energy in this place oozed, those seemed like minor bumps on the road, nothing they couldn't overcome.

They'd already been to the second floor, and while the place was significantly larger than Rory's current home, there was just something about that upper floor that didn't make the place seem as lavish as most people would've expected from Gimores or Huntzbergers. Being where they were in their lives - it was something they sought after. Some of the rooms upstairs had vaulted ceilings and the main bedrooms all overlooked the backyard. It fit their more humble aspirations - no flashy walk-in wardrobes or jaccuzis in their bathroom, yet was in no way hiding their net worth from anyone who knew anything about real estate. The place had good, historic, bones and an abundance of details to liven their immagination.

The owner had been a guy to whom both of their family names had been familiar, though not too directly, something about having played a few rounds of golf with both Richard and Mitchum at one point, though not at the same time. It wasn't uncommon to play with friends of friends or sometimes just matching up with whomever was about to head for the green. What was refreshing though was that the man didn't seem to bow or be particularly reluctant to either of their names. It was the way Logan always hoped things would be. That the name would be just a name.

"You're surprisingly quiet considering it was your idea?" Rory pointed out, as she watched Logan staring out of the sun-room window that overlooked the vast green space in the back, his mind clearly having been elsewhere for the moment.

The greenery in the back wasn't all part of this property, but it blended effortlessly together with the neighboring properties which almost gave the feeling that there wasn't another neighbor in sight.

It blended the qualities of what they were used to, or at least Logan had been, and those they'd once dreamt about - that particular trans-Atlantic phone call coming to mind during which they'd discussed certain themes and details of what they hoped their home to have someday. They hadn't put it in exactly the context of having that together - it had always been spoken about as their personal dreams even though they overlapped to a degree, leaving joint dreams unspoken at that point. What Rory didn't know was that Logan had chosen several holiday destinations for the two of them based on that conversation over the years, the place in Scotland and even the place in New Hampshire being just a few of its derivatives.

Logan smiled at her, and for a moment glanced through the door of the adjacent room where the study was and where Em was currently twirling around in place, observing her shadow on the floor and wall. It was becoming natural for him to keep an eye on her just like Rory always did, the entire day with the girl having left that habit with him.

"It's all pretty clear to me. What matters is what you think?" Logan said, stepping close, and giving her a little peck. She looked nice like that, in that light, wearing no excess make-up, her hair loose, just wearing casual pair of jeans and her dark green parka. Effortless beauty.