Chapter 77

June 1st, 2022

It was fairly early morning and Rory and Logan were sitting in the waiting room at Dr. Mueller's office. Rory was a little anxious already since their appointment was running a little late, not by a lot but enough to make her worry about being late to work. Rory usually just came to see a midwife each month, the first couple of times having been exceptions, so even just for that this time felt different, more important. But somehow even this importance, even this morning's little morning delight which had left her cheeks with a healthy glow, was shadowed by everything that happened over the weekend - Gigi's party, the pictures of her and Logan up on some sites along with gossip, agreeing to do the interview... - it was safe to say she had a lot on her mind.

As there were several doctors working at the same clinic, and their appointment wasn't the first one of the morning, Rory wasn't the only round-bellied woman in the waiting room, and friendly, knowing, glances were exchanged. It was like a secret pact of women who knew what they were all going through. Some women were there with their partners, men or women, some with older kids even, and this time truly she was glad to be there with Logan who intertwined his fingers with hers, as their arms rested on the armrest together side-by side.

Suddenly, one of the doors leading to the examination rooms burst open and out came a young-looking nurse apologizing for being so abrupt, clearly being a little more nervous than she was supposed to.

Behind her, out came a heavily pregnant woman, her hand supporting her back, and a husband trailing right behind her, worriedly.

It became clear very soon what this was about, as the woman began panting and cursing about three steps out the door. She was having contractions.

"Just keep breathing, you're doing great," Dr. Mueller who emerged behind them assured, sounding calm and composed unlike the other three.

The contraction passed and the woman was again able to keep moving towards the exit.

"The ambulance is right downstairs," the nurse said, coming around the corner with a wheelchair.

"Take it away! If I wanted a fucking wheelchair... I'd fucking tell you.... I can't imagine ever sitting down again!" the pregnant woman huffed in a moan and barely made it out the door before another contraction hit. They were hitting her pretty close together, but it was an interesting distraction nonetheless, and it did made Rory think about how it would happen this time around, her busy schedule having not given her a lot of time to dwell on that part yet.

"Nadine, go with them. Make sure they get to the ambulance. Bring the wheelchair, just in case," Dr. Mueller instructed.

It was only then Rory observed Logan, noting how he'd been caught in the moment. She didn't really have a chance to comment though, since before she began, Dr. Mueller spoke.

"Rory, Logan - you're welcome to come in and get settled. I'll be just a minute," Dr. Mueller said, familiarly, clearly being a nurse short presently and wanting to save on leg work. She hurried back into the examination room to clean the room up herself.

The two followed her into her office, Logan leading Rory ahead with his hand on the small of her back. It was so instinctive to Logan, and especially with Rory.

"Hi," both said in unison, as they entered the office.

"Quite an action-packed morning," Logan commented, as he took a seat, seeing the doctor hastily gather up her tools and replace them with a clean set in the adjoining examination room.

"Oh yeah - sometimes it just takes a specific position to really get things going. Especially if it's not the first baby," Dr. Mueller replied, casually, as she finished washing her hands and wiped them down with a paper napkin.