Chapter 71

September 16th, 2005

"Hello?" Logan picked up his phone just as his ECON 410 aka Economics of Innovation ended. It was his last class of the week and he couldn't be more relieved to get Rory's call right at that minute. It was one of the benefits of dating someone who knew Yale, really knew it - timetables and all. She was never annoyed about him being in class or actually taking one of his assignments seriously like some of his previous girlfriends had been. She also knew just when to call to catch him.

"Hey," Rory said, relieved to hear his voice. She was just driving back to Hartford in her car, just needing to hear the voice of someone who made her feel better.

"Hey!" Logan reflected. "How was the baptism?" he asked, casually.

"Fine...," Rory began, not sounding too convincing. "I don't know. I don't know what's going on," she added. "I'm not handling things particularly well these days," she confessed, it being the first time she'd ever confessed not being all together as she'd tried to seem until now. She'd put on her happy face to go through her community service, her D.A.R luncheons and even tried to convince Logan that he should feel free to talk about Yale whenever he wanted with her. But she wasn't all together and she knew it, even if she didn't yet see a way out of her situation.

"Yeah, I know what you mean," Logan agreed. For a second Rory wondered whether Logan was referring to her but there was just something in his tone that didn't sound right.

"Logan, are you okay?" Rory asked.

"I had a talk with my father the other day. And... apparently I'm going to graduate this year. I'm going to get my act together and I'm going to become a Huntzberger," Logan explained, using his father's exact words.

"What does that mean?" Rory wasn't quite sure she followed.

"I'm going to start attending shareholder meetings, letting the boys see my face around," Logan said. "It means...," he sighed, adding, "my preordained life is kicking in," definitely not sounding enthusiastic at this prospect.

"Oh, I'm sorry," Rory said.

"Hey, always read the fine print on the family crest," Logan joked, trying to make it sound light. He saw no point in Rory worrying about her, though he had to admit that knowing that she genuinely meant it - that she genuinely meant that she was sorry that he wasn't going what he wanted to do, meant the world to him. He was just so new to this, he didn't know what he was supposed to do in this situation - what was one to do when someone worried or cared about him like this. He didn't have the tools or the words to understand this.

"You know... maybe you can talk to your dad and tell him how you feel," Rory replied a little naively, realizing as she'd said it that she should probably be giving herself the same advice.

"Hey, how far away are you from the airport?" Logan suddenly asked, not even bothering to respond to her suggestion. But he knew she'd meant well.

"Why?" Rory asked, sounding confused.

"Let's go to New York," Logan suggested, doing the only thing he knew to do when faced with something unpleasant. And it seemed to him that Rory was in a way in a similar boat right now, needing an escape just the same.

"What?" Rory didn't believe her ears.

"New York, you and me, right now. By helicopter," Logan clarified.

"A helicopter?" Rory repeated in disbelief as she continued to drive. "You're kidding!?" she added.

"We will spend the weekend at the Pierre. You don't have your community service till Monday, right?" Logan added.