Chapter 59

February 13th, 2022

"If you're so in love with all things Disney why did you end up getting married dressed in black?" Rory teased her mother. They'd been in the bridal shop for about half an hour by now, most of the group having at least half a glass of champagne in the stomachs of those who could drink by now.

Rory's mother had been trying to convince her to try on about the fourth or fifth Disney line dress. The latest one was a ball gown with cap sleeves and a bateau neckline with embroidered lace. They were gorgeous, but reminded Rory just too much of her coming out dress.

"In case you missed it, I had a white dress," Lorelai defended herself.

Rory shook her head again as Lorelai held up another dress - a bare shouldered ¾ sleeved lace bodice A-line, still having that same princessy look Rory wasn't too fond of.

"Oh, please - like you think about your wedding day and picture yourself in that champagne colored piece," Rory teased, knowing well that the night before the event was what Lorelai really considered as her wedding day. She even celebrated her anniversary on November 4th, instead of the following day.

"A woman can only pull off a princess gown until her 40s, I had no such luxury," Lorelai explained, one of her major regrets having been that she'd no longer fit into the wedding gown she'd bought the first time she was going to marry Luke. Her dress on November 5th, had been a much simpler, knee length shift dress with ¾ sleeves with lace, and if she were to be honest - indeed not entirely white.

"I'd say that the age limit should be brought down considerably," Rory replied, as she looked along a long line of dresses. She just didn't want to look like she was chasing some childhood dream of a wedding like many did.

For a moment her mind wandered, trying to imagine what kind of a dress she would've picked had she been in this position at the age of 22 or 23 if she had accepted Logan's proposal back then. She quickly dismissed the thought, realizing that whatever she would've wanted would've probably been overshadowed by Emily Gilmore and Shira Huntzberger.

"I still think something shorter would look great on you," Paris suggested. "It's much easier to dance in for one," she added. Paris showed Rory a V-neck midi dress with cap sleeves. It was sweet, almost like a swing dress. The buttoned top looked more modern than the ones Lorelai had suggested earlier, making her at least not hate it, even if the recognition wasn't momentary.

"That's a maybe. Thanks, Paris," Rory replied, hoping her mother would already take a hint. That was enough for the shop assistant to take the 'maybe' dress to the dressing room.

"I would've loved something like this," Lane commented, having picked out a dress that was actually surprisingly similar to what she'd actually worn. "It kind of looks like the one you made," Lane commented, thankfully, glancing at Lorelai.

"You made her a wedding dress?" Honor exclaimed, not believing her ears. She sounded impressed but a little confused at the same time. This also made Rory realize how her mother didn't really know much about Logan's family at all, except for the elder Huntzbergers she'd only heard stories about. And suppose, the same went for the other way around, Honor having heard mostly stories about her and her mother.

"Um... yeah," Lorelai replied. "I made Rory's prom dress, the dress she wore at graduation... a lot of costumes for plays. It's what I do, my superpower in that crazy little town of ours," she added.

"The dress had been in my family for generations," Lane explained. "She just altered it to look a bit more modern. She did a great job," she added, modestly.

"A little?" Rory chuckled, having seen the full form of the dress from one of Lorelai's photos she'd taken from the original dress.

"More like a little coffee accident," Lorelai replied, holding back laughter.