Chapter 29

November 16th, 2021

Because Em had craved egg rolls, Rory had gone with the Black Bamboo this time, making sure there'd be some vegetarian options for Logan as well. It was not like she couldn't eat them too, it usually just wasn't her first choice. Even she theoretically needed to look after what she ate a little to avoid having, for example, cholesterol problems even if whatever she ate hardly shook the weight or shape of her body.

With the order placed, Rory headed upstairs to shower and to change out of her work clothes. Em wandered along, deciding to hang out on her mom's bed while she got ready. She liked to watch her get ready, and even though Rory wasn't really going anywhere, she gave off that same vibe as if going on a date, and even the 4-year-old could tell something was up.

But as Rory emerged, towel drying her hair, while wrapped in her robe, Em surprised Rory with a very straightforward question.

"Is Logan your boyfriend?" Em asked, as if asking something as everyday as what was for dinner.

One might have wondered where she could even know such a concept, but the kids in her class talked - she wasn't the only one whose the parents weren't together, and since a lot of the kids were a year or two older than her, words like 'boyfriend' and 'girlfriend' were thrown around a lot more.

It took Rory a moment to gather herself and take a deep breath before responding.

"How would you feel if he was?" Rory asked, and took a seat next to Em on the bed.

"He's okay," Em replied with an indifferent shrug.

"I was going to talk to you about this actually - tonight maybe even, but you are such a clever little girl...," Rory replied, tickling her a bit from underneath her soles lightly.

But there was still something on the girl's mind, Rory could tell. She was definitely not jumping from joy at this piece of news despite having said 'he was okay'.

"Anything you're worried about?  Or upset about?" Rory inquired, tugging her slightly from her big toe. "You can tell me, you can always tell me," she assured.

"What will happen to daddy?" Em asked with genuine concern in her face.

"Daddy will still be your daddy. He's still important to me too," Rory confirmed. "Daddy was actually asking if he could spend a little more time with you during the holidays if that's okay with you. He might even bring you to school on some Mondays" Rory added.

How she'd made that statement made her a little worried whether that was manipulation through the kid though - what if Em didn't want holidays with Jess like Jess had requested. Would he take her by force? They'd never had to do anything concerning custody against Em's will before. They'd been that flexible.

"Is it because you want to spend more time with Logan?" Em asked.

"Oh - no-no-no," Rory replied, seeing how this could take a very wrong turn. "They just happen to happen at the same time. I don't want you to be away more, that's so not about that. If I could I would have all my holidays with you, all of my weekends," Rory assured, kissing her daughter on her forehead. 

Sure, there was some fibbing in that - her own time was important too, and if it hadn't been Jess she would just resort to a nanny or Lorelai more, but she loved Em to bits and making sure she knew that was a priority. 

"I love having you around, and I love you. It's just that... grownups also need to have friends their own age, you know. Someone that's special to them in a different way - like grandma has Luke or aunt Lane has Zach," Rory explained, but was pretty sure it was a little too complicated for Em to fully grasp.