Chapter 79

June 27th, 2022

Time slowed down, like a movie scene being winded very slowly, as they rushed out from the shop, a few smaller accessory stands falling to the floor as Rory's dress brushed against them by accident. Water sprinkled down from the ceiling, wetting everyone's clothes and hair. One of the shop assistant's mascara was running down her cheeks. There wasn't a lot of smoke, just a thin layer that could be seen below the ceiling - not enough to make one cough seriously or feel flames, but definitely enough to make one cautious and react. The deafening sirens, and the water, making the magically soft beige carpet on the floor splash under their feet, was creating more panic than the situation was perhaps worth.

Rory's hand was in Logan's tight grasp, once almost slipping out of it, but he didn't doubt to stop and get a better grip.

It was only as Rory reached the stairs, Logan had a chance to really look at her, as she slowed down, needing to hold her dress up. Even with her casually pulled back hair, wet loose strands of hair on the side of her face plastered onto her face, her dress dripping from water, making parts of it really stick to her body like it definitely wasn't supposed to, she looked incredible.

To Logan Rory looked like she'd just stopped off the set of a fantasy film on fairies or a Evanescence music video, if Logan were to say the first name that popped into his head. For once Logan understood the awe in which grooms looked at their brides, having definitely not had that moment with Odette. It was hard to picture Rory looking any more beautiful, her bump only making her more breathtaking.

"Are you okay?" Gigi asked as they reached the street, having gotten out a few moments before them.

There were several people outside already, including another one shopper, who only had a robe on, probably having been in the middle of trying on a dress downstairs at the boutique.

"Rory? You okay?" Gigi repeated, pulling her out of the haze.

Logan wrapped his arm around her, kissing her temple, feeling relieved to have her out of harm's way. Getting her and their baby out of there had been such a rush of adrenaline, the seriousness of the event still a little fuzzy for Logan. He'd definitely overreacted a little, it seemed, as it hadn't been difficult getting out of there, truth be told. But any sight of danger had made him super protective of his family.

"Uh-uh," Rory managed, her eyes still fixated on the store, a column of smoke coming out of its doorway.

"Oh, fuck, the dress!" Gigi exclaimed, worriedly, having now had a chance to really look at her. Rory hadn't even had a chance to really observe the damage, mostly her mind having been on the fact that her purse was in there and her street clothes. And her shoes - as she now realized, feeling the bare, and slightly sticky, pavement under her soles which was definitely a little gross, forcing her to step aside to find a better spot.

Only then Rory really looked at the dress - it having both water and some smoke damage, some object on the way having scratched some of its lacing as well. Logan could just see the sadness in her face. Dissapointment. Worry. Hopelessness.

"I'm sure everything will be fine," Logan assured, rubbing her shoulders. Surely ther was some place where they could just get it cleaned, fixed - a copy of it made - he thought quickly. No matter the cost.

Then the fire truck arrived and a couple of firemen headed inside the building, taking charge of the situation.

"Maybe it was bad luck I saw you in your suit before the wedding?" Rory desperately tried to joke, but the worry was ever present in her face. Logan had seen her dress, the dress was ruined - she wasn't sure if dresses like this were ever supposed to be cleaned - and all of her street clothes, her purse, her shoes, also both pairs of her wedding shoes, her lingerie - everything except her phone that she'd grabbed on instinct was in there.